How about a fixed blade.

So guys I made a post earlier about a folder but what about a fixed blade for edc? How do you guys carry them like a 8. Inch over all one? Is it easily concealable? Or should I just stick with folders?

The few times I have seen people carry a fixed blade is out in the woods or guys that are pro rockhounders and don't follow conventional lifestyles. I carry one in the woods but mine are all too bulky for city life, plus I like the concealed and comfort factor of a slim folder. Maybe if I carried horizontal it would help but I don't see the need for myself.

Probably wouldnt carry an 8" but Ive been considering something like the 4" dpx huntsman. Id carry it horizontally somewhere on my belt.

I sometimes carry a Dozier Professional Hunter, or down size to a Dozier Buffalo River Hunter, in an inside the wasteband Kydex holster. I also have a 6 inch bladed Puma Bowie knife I carry in a custom made Southern Comfort style leather holster with a frog or belt loop snap. In my state there is no law on blade length at this time, still I try to keep a low profile when carrying a fixed blade, but so far no one has every caused me any trouble over carrying a 5 or 6 inch fixed blade, but with the blade mostly hidden it's hard to tell just how big my knives really are.

6 inch blade no-name slaughterhouse skinner attached horizontally to the back of my belt lanyarded with long, thin, chain dog leash for butchering rabbits my JRT catches & for defence against any more APBTs that want to kill my JRT.
CS-500x.jpg
sks500-2.jpg

I don't think anyone here disagrees that fixed blades are inherently stronger than folders however you should ask yourself this; what kind of everyday tasks are you going to be tackling? 95%+ of my daily uses are so light that a fixed blade would be severe overkill. (ie. cutting tape & paper, opening boxes and plastic packaging, cutting an apple) I've actually never found myself in a situation where I wished I had a fixed blade but only had a folder. For me, those reasons right there are more than enough to convince me to just carry a folder, not to mention the hassle of dealing w/ the much larger size. :eek:

I used to edc my ESEE 3 mil until where I work changed there policy on carrying knives. It was very easy to edc.

I edc my ESEE Izula all the time. But I'm 6'4" so its easy for me to conceal. I wouldn't carry a larger fixed blade though as I work in an office.

I carry a variety of 3-3.5" fixes blades either IWB or in a dozier horizontal sheath. IWB under a shirt, best, or jacket is undetectable in public.

I am in the process of making a 3inch fixed blade that is about 6 inches overall. This is one of my first knives, but I made a composite prototype to get the design and the size is nice, but a little bigger version of around 7-8 inches overall would be more comfortable. The small blade is fine for my uses though.

So guys I made a post earlier about a folder but what about a fixed blade for edc? How do you guys carry them like a 8. Inch over all one? Is it easily concealable? Or should I just stick with folders?

Really, really depends on where you spend your "day".

IMO, you are very right to be concerned about concealability. IME, acceptance of fixed blade knives is highly, highly contextual. In a general store in November in rural New Hampshire while you're wearing red plaid? Sure. You're a hunter and people there will get that. At a suburban Little League game? That's just stupid and asking for problems.

If your day requires you to use a knife and if a fixed blade makes sense in that work setting, pick and use the right knife for the job. Otherwise, if you feel the "need" to conceal the knife, it's probably the wise part of your brain understanding that it's probably inappropriate to wielding a fixed blade in your context.

I know some folks dig tiny EDC sized fixed blades such as neckers or tiny "bird and trout" designs in pocket sheaths. But honestly, at those tiny sizes, I would rather have a hand filling folder like an Opinel 9. The larger Opinel will do anything a small fixed blade will, will do many things a tiny fixed blade can't, carries better and is socially acceptable in infinitely more situations.

Unless my attire prohibits it (i.e. scrubs at work) I will be carrying some type of folder. But I recently acquired an ESEE Candiru with scales and a custom kydex sheath that I've found a way to wear with a mini tek-lok in just about every outfit (including clipped to the inside of my scrub pants). The candiru IMO is a perfect size for my medium hands and has just enough cutting edge to do almost everything I need to. If you have larger hands though, the candiru will be difficult to get a full four-finger grip on.

I used to carry my homemade carving or "lil work knife" all the tim when I was doing a lot more wood carving. Its only got a 2" blade though. I don't think I'd ever wear a larger one around, I have no need for a bigger blade. Didn't really get any looks with the carving knife, that was back in Boise though.... Where people like to flex open carry rights all the time lol. Not too uncommon to see someone with some heat on their side.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in something similar. I need something beefier at work that still cuts well but is stainless because I'm in a humid environment.

Looked at the 0300, 0560, all other ZTs, the Schemp Tuff and Superleaf, basically all the hard use folders. I just feel like a stainless edc fixed blade would work better, something like the Blackjack 155, but shorter. Havent seen many options out there.

I don't think anyone here disagrees that fixed blades are inherently stronger than folders however you should ask yourself this; what kind of everyday tasks are you going to be tackling? 95%+ of my daily uses are so light that a fixed blade would be severe overkill. (ie. cutting tape & paper, opening boxes and plastic packaging, cutting an apple) I've actually never found myself in a situation where I wished I had a fixed blade but only had a folder. For me, those reasons right there are more than enough to convince me to just carry a folder, not to mention the hassle of dealing w/ the much larger size. :eek:
What's wrong with overkill?

Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

I carry a Red Mesquite Burl Mosaic BRKT Micro Slither all the time. Drops in the pocket like a slippie.

Back