1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How about a great experience w/CR's customer svc

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Flamed6K, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Flamed6K

Flamed6K

Apr 9, 2012
    Considering all of the negative stuff on here lately about CR's service I wanted to post my own experience with them. A couple years ago I ordered a Damascus blade for my small Sebenza. Either they had a mix up and skipped me or I somehow accidentally erased their email letting me know it was ready but I missed my turn. I emailed them and let them know what was going on and they said since I missed my turn whether my fault or theirs I should really have to start the clock over on my wait, but they said since it could've been there fault they were going to take care of me. We all know the wait for Damascus is about a year, but instead of starting my year over they somehow squeezed in my Damascus blade for me and had it ready within about 10-14 days of my email making sure that I got it on time for Christmas. So in this case I feel they really did me a solid and there service was great. Just wanted to add this specific example to show both sides of the coin here. Thanks for reading!

2. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Wow...that was cool of them to do that:thumbup:

3. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY

Feb 24, 2009
    Honestly, I have never had to use their warranty service. I will be sending one small regular in because it is still VERY VERY stiff and it looks like one of the scales towards the pivot area is bent. The knife was bought new and never carried but just noticed it.
    I feel confident that Mr. Reeve will get it working properly and will do what is needed to make me happy. On the three occasions of me speaking with Mr. Reeve, Anne and (her name slips my mind at the moment) for lengthy conversations, I can say I feel good about him and the company.
    I am a businessman myself with 80 employees and serve thousands of customers a week and I have got to say there are days when I want to tell a customer what I think and sometimes I do.
    Example,
    "My food was terrible and I want a refund"
    Me."I am very sorry, what was wrong with your meal? Can you show it to me?"
    "No"
    Me,"why not?"
    "I ate it all"

4. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Lol!!

5. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Haha I get that CONSTANTLY! :) Either that or people come in once a week and complain everytime ...yet they still come in.

On my end my few interactions with CRK have been good ones. I've not spoken to Mr. Reeve himself, but can relate to wanting to tell a customer off(if that indeed has happened).

It's good to read the positives. At the end of the day they've been in business as long as they have for a reason.

6. Desert Hermit

Desert Hermit

Jan 25, 2012
    Although I have never had a Warranty requirement with any of my CRK's, or an issue of any kind, (they have always been and continue to be precision cutting tools that I use daily), I am in contact with Chris Reeve Customer Service almost weekly. The Customer Service Department has always given prompt and friendly replies to all of my many questions, my orders placed for knives, and anything else I happen to bring up in my frequent contacts with them.
    This is not fanfare, but just the simple truth in my personal experience.

I thoroughly enjoy all of my Chris Reeve Knives and look forward to spending quality time with many more.
    In over fifty years of feeding a passion for quality knives I have never owned better than my CRK's.
    It is my sincere wish that I might one day make the trip to Boise and thank these folks in person for all they continue to give me.
    To me they are not just a Company. They are Friends. :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2009
    That reminds me - the sauce you sent me was so God-awful that I could barely finish off the third bottle. First the Hickory, then the Original, then (sweet Jesus on the cross) the Spicy! I don't know why I kept slathering that stuff all over those ribs and pulled pork sandwiches. What's wrong with you? You should be ashamed.

I think I just got hungry :)

And CRK has never, ever, even for a second given me any indication that serving me as customer wasn't their primary concern. It's not just the knives that brings be back again and again.

8. Desert Hermit

Desert Hermit

Jan 25, 2012
    rotflol !! :D

9. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY

Feb 24, 2009
    I bet you did make a mess of yourself. Thanks for the compliment. I had written you off since you never got back to me to worship the ground I walk on.
    Next time, do a better job of showing some appreciation. At least Fooj put it on his FaceBook.:D

10. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2009
    You're right, brother. I stretched the sauce as far as I could, but the manna ran out about a month ago on some chicken legs. Great stuff, and thank you. Now, as far a Facebook goes, it's sort of like Spanish for me - I know enough to get me in trouble and that's about it.

Appreciation - ok, what's your shirt size? :sneakiness:

11. canonfan11

canonfan11

Feb 28, 2012
    No experience with their warranty service, but I've got a problem with their service overall.

I had this design I'm thinking of having engraved on my large 21. So I call, get the details, cost, and instructions. I send it in and was quoted 6 weeks.

So in the meantime, I'm not carrying a Sebenza. I see a used small Classic MM and buy it, fully EXPECTING the large to be back in 6 WEEKS. Heather then calls back, IN 3 WEEKS, and says my knife is ready. So now I'm out $325 for a great condition used small classic, with a nice sheath. On top of that...they quoted me a lower price than what it should have been and fully honored that lower price.

I'm confused. What's up with the underpromises and overdeliveries? I'm shocked to the point where I'll continue to be a CRK fan, just about forever. :)

12. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I was fully bracing myself for a ten page "screw the company" rant. My heart sank. You got me!:) Well done and that really is a fantastic experience!

13. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY

Feb 24, 2009
    I don't want to embarrass myself and say my shirt size.

14. Professor

Professor Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Ten years ago, I bought a number of small regular Sebenza's. Being new to CRK's and framelocks in general (I was a Benchmade Axis guy prior), I had some questions about the lockup. I called CRK and asked (probably Heather) a few questions, and she said she'd get back with me.

Later in the day, Chris Reeve called me. We talked for about 45 minutes about the finer points of the Sebenza. Things like the stop pin sleeve, and why he used 303 stainless hardware. We talked about how the lockbar buckles at the bend cutouts, which is why the lockbar travels close to 100% when squeezed but will return to it's usual lock % when closed and reopened.

That conversation meant a lot to me, that he would take the time to do that. He wanted to assure me that he had spent the last 20-some years perfecting the Sebenza, thinking about the same things that perplexed me.

Well, that hooked me. Fanboyism? Hell yes. I admire anyone with the rare ability to turn their passion into a profession. I admire and respect Chris' engineering skills as much as his knifemaking skills.

Since that time, I've had multiple great experiences with CRK's customer service; Heather, Jessie, the whole gang. Usually in the context of having double lugs installed, or something similar. I've never had a need for repair as of yet, which says good things about their products to me since I use my knives the way they were intended to be.

One of these days, I want to make it out there and check out the facility. If there's a watering hole nearby, first round's on me.

Thanks, CRK.

Prof.

15. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I have had a number of dealings over the years with Heather and the other fine people in their customer service. I believe I sent them one knife for warranty work(well used knife I bought off an exchange),a few cosmetic(lugs and bead blast) a number of questions as well as an order or 2. They have always gotten right back to me on the questions and been extremely curtious and helpful on the others. They are actually a joy to talk too-I have to resist chatting too much with them. I rate them an A+
    I have never dealt with Chris, but have great admiration for him as a businessman, as well as producing a very fine knife. He built this company from scratch and is now known as one of the finist knife producers out there, as such I believe he will defend his product like a mother defends her child. You best not attach his product unless you have a very sound arguement, for no one knows the product better than him and he is rightfully very proud of it and his people.

And stop talking BBQ-you are making me hungry

16. RABII

RABII Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I had the privilege of meeting both Chris and Anne at Blade a couple of years ago, and even in such a fast paced venue as Blade, they were both very cordial and engaging. I will continue to purchase their fine products and hope for their continued success in the industry.

17. Tim616

Tim616

Sep 13, 2011
    My CRK warranty experiences have been flawless

18. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have never had a bad CRK Customer Service Experience. I have owned 68 CRK and I can think of 4 times I have had to contact them for Customer Service/Warranty. Each time, my issue was dealt with promptly, politely, and each time I felt like a valued customer. The fact that CRK makes a product superior to all others AND offers Quality Customer Service Equal to their products will keep me coming back for Years To Come....!!! On 2 of the 4 occasions, I have spoken to Chris directly and was in awe to say the least. He thoroughly explained the problem, what caused it, and what he was going to do to fix it. Each time I was honored to speak to the Man Himself. CRK Fan For Life...!!!

19. bamahabir

bamahabir

Oct 26, 2011
    Never in my short 21 years has a company made a loyal customer as CRK has. Their customer service has been the best experience I've ever had, and many as I would imagined are spoiled by it.

20. DBH

DBH

Aug 3, 2001
    Everyone at CRK has taken care of me for years. They are great people and well always have me as a customer.