How about a Spyderco NYC?

<tongue_in_cheek>

I'm thinking it could be time for a 3.95" blade UKPK-style slipjoint with a nice big comfortable choil. Something just barely within the Cyrus Vance, Jr. interpretation of knife legality in NY. Heck, give it a mean looking FRN Native-style spear point blade and call it the "Spyderco Cyrus Vance, Jr."

</tongue_in_cheek>

Let the fun commence. :D

The lawmakers would love that! They would prob respond by lowering the legal limit by .1 inch:)

that wouldn't pass their street definition of legality. if the nypd Gestapo-oops I mean police-can Spydie drop your knife, then they will call it an illegal gravity knife. basically no one hand opening knife is safe.

that wouldn't pass their street definition of legality. if the nypd Gestapo-oops I mean police-can Spydie drop your knife, then they will call it an illegal gravity knife. basically no one hand opening knife is safe.

A slipit can't be "Spydie dropped" because the "Spydie drop" is a method to open the blade to the locking position. A slipit does not lock, therefore cannot be "Spydie dropped."

New York courts have already found that balisongs are not gravity knives because they do not automatically lock when swung fully open, for instance.

Not cheap but there is the spyderco friction folder coming out at some point......

Incidentally, the inspiration for this thread is my purchase today of a Squeak. It's my first Spyderco slipit, and I absolutely love it.

The Spyderco Bloomberg would have nice, finely sculpted G10 scales, milled stainless liners, deep carry wire clip, no blade and MSRP at $390.

The UKPK is very close to a NYC knife. I'd prefer some sane laws from NYC over a special knife, but that's never gonna happen. I live about 20mi out of the city, and have family in the boroughs. I hate having to do an equipment check before visiting.

Well, given that they've named knives for a communist newspaper and an extinct bird whose name is a synonym for stupidity, naming one for Vance wouldn't surprise me.

woah. goes to show how out of touch people get. I visit my daughter in Brooklyn and Manhattan twice a month and never thought to check my edc which up til recently was either a kershaw leek or crown. I never even thought about it. If-on the off chance I was stopped and a cop did happen to check my pockets what would I be subject to-confiscation or are we talking more serious then a ticket? need to(should)know.

As far as I know you can be charged with felony possession of a weapon. I do know its an arrestable offense and not just a ticket/confiscation.

[EDIT] Another note, as far as i remember you have to have any knife completely concealed, so no pocket clips. NYC is crazy. I am going to verify and will update my post.

[EDIT 2]
New York Penal - Article 265 - § 265.15 Presumptions of Possession,
Unlawful Intent and Defacement]

The possession by any person of the substance as specified in
section 265.04 is presumptive evidence of possessing such substance with
intent to use the same unlawfully against the person or property of
another if such person is not licensed or otherwise authorized to
possess such substance. The possession by any person of any dagger,
dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument,
appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a
weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully
against another.

So it looks like yes, its waaay more serious than a ticket and confiscation, there is a presumption that you intend to use it unlawfully.

Last edited:
woah. goes to show how out of touch people get. I visit my daughter in Brooklyn and Manhattan twice a month and never thought to check my edc which up til recently was either a kershaw leek or crown. I never even thought about it. If-on the off chance I was stopped and a cop did happen to check my pockets what would I be subject to-confiscation or are we talking more serious then a ticket? need to(should)know.

it's all a huge gray area. or at least, it was. For instance, a previous poster said a NY court ruled that balisongs do not count as gravity knives, however I have never heard of this ruling. it is either very recent or it had simply been ignored by the police officers. I also know the cops were ruling ANY knife that could be flicked or Spydie dropped open were illegal.

They were mostly confiscating and ticketing people, as it was a money making operation more than anything.

Here's the thing you have to remember about laws, if a cop convinces you it was illegal, and you plead guilty, you can be convicted. Even if the knife was 100% legal, with well documented legislation supporting it...

I used to work with a guy who had a criminal record partially made up of "carrying a concealed dirk or dagger" here in California, for carrying a legal folding knife. He was a young punk, and he didn't know the laws and he plead out.

Hell, I've spoken to a couple officers here who thought Cali had a 3" blade limit and I had to inform them otherwise... Which is always interesting, lol.

I always keep a copy of the section of the state code covering legal carry in my wallet. Also a letter reply from the city DA clarifying that assisted knives are legal here. I've never had to pull them out yet, but if I do ever get called on my knife I'll have the documentation that I need.

Actually, it took like 3 months of bugging the DA's office to get them to clarify the law in writing. I think that they would have preferred to let the local LE's have more leeway.

Paul,
somehow I missed this :eek: Just curious what knife is it?
I hope it will not come to "Pravda" or "Iskra" :)
Their first, the Worker. When I was young and working in a store that sold all kinds of newspapers, that was what folks would ask for when they wanted the Daily Worker, which was published by the American Communist Party.

it's all a huge gray area. or at least, it was. For instance, a previous poster said a NY court ruled that balisongs do not count as gravity knives, however I have never heard of this ruling. it is either very recent or it had simply been ignored by the police officers.

People v. Zuniga, March 31, 2003 in the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Second Department, New York.

So it looks like yes, its waaay more serious than a ticket and confiscation, there is a presumption that you intend to use it unlawfully.

well-I am not going to worry about my EDC carry of a persistence, Y2 (tho that blade might be the one most likely as an edc to be scrutinized). I have noticed lately that I am of the age where a lot of the cops are young kids (gals and guys) and their more likely to call me "sir" then back in the days was was wearing wife beaters with my tats showing on my Triumph Bonny. I do own a Frank B stiletto which I would never carry concealed and everything else would be clipped and visible and I just don't think I present a 'conceal' problem for NYC cops. However-I would NEVER plead guilty-even if issued a minor cit. I would fight it.

The best answer to New York City..

5561609546_e87acfa0e1.jpg

Back