How are the knife laws in your state

What CM said. Cali knife laws aren't bad, all else considered. Should the mood strike, I could carry a BK9 on a baldric, although FSM help me if I have a CRKT Minimalist in my pocket ;-)

Fortunately, I usually carry manual folders, which have no length limit when carried concealed, unless it's an auto or bali song, in which case it's 2 inches.

LA county is much different. 3" folders and under are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NY, that is outside of New York City no, autos, daggers, gravity,I'm sure I'm missing a few pages of our Penal Law. Get this you can carry. .44 Magnum Pistol concealed with proper permit but can't carry all of the above mentioned knives, perfect example of letting lawyers make up laws. However you can carry a switchblade if you have a proper fishing, hunting, or trapping license or if you are a one armed person.

Louisiana anything goes except for autos, unless your a LEO/FF/EMT.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

I am still dumbstruck that Texas does not allow Bowies. I mean really?? WTF

Holdover from reconstruction. Poor whites, blacks and Hispanics couldn't afford guns. The reconstruction era legislators banned the public carry of what these folks carried - Bowies, daggers (and their ilk), tomahawks, and clubs.

Hopefully, this next legislative session the laws will be eliminated. Knife Rights almost got it accomplished 2 years ago.

Holdover from reconstruction. Poor whites, blacks and Hispanics couldn't afford guns. The reconstruction era legislators banned the public carry of what these folks carried - Bowies, daggers (and their ilk), tomahawks, and clubs.

Hopefully, this next legislative session the laws will be eliminated. Knife Rights almost got it accomplished 2 years ago.

Really? I never knew that (about the history), I guess the saying is true "the sins of the fathers are visited upon the sons".

And I will be writing my representative.

In NYS the ironic thing is you can order on line or in a store a baseball bat, chainsaw, or meat cleaver and have it on your person or in a vehicle as long as there is no intent to commit a crime using it. With some of the outlawed knives there is an assumption the mere possession of such that there automatically assumes the intended use against another.

Final Option the one armed exception is not in effect in NY, but you are right with the fishing/hunting/trapping exception being allowed. Our dear Gov vetoed a change that would have re define what a gravity knife is. The law enforced by NYC is the state law, so it could be used that way all over the state. Thankfully other police departments are not as number driven as the NYPD is....

Final Option the one armed exception is not in effect in NY, but you are right with the fishing/hunting/trapping exception being allowed. Our dear Gov vetoed a change that would have re define what a gravity knife is. The law enforced by NYC is the state law, so it could be used that way all over the state. Thankfully other police departments are not as number driven as the NYPD is....

I rechecked the exemption section of 265.01 of the NYS Penal Law and you are right no provision for one armed person, thanks.

Kansas is good as far as knives go. Although things like bludgeons, slungshots, throwing stars and metal knuckles are still prohibited. Hopefully these restrictions can be addressed in future sessions. I'd much like to practice learning the meteor hammer, and that'd be a lot easier if the slungshot wasn't illegal.

Anyone seen this site: http://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/?

WI is vague but from I've read there's enough litigation law to help interpret, coming down to brandishing with intent. I've had no issues in my rural post of the state not have I heard other law abiding people having problems.

I hadn't looked at the AKTI site in a while so I checked it. It's up to date on the knife law changes signed into law last year. WI is now very knife - friendly :thumbup:

Kentucky is pretty good... I have a Concealed Deadly Weapons license, which covers handguns and about any kind of blade I would want to carry, and many I wouldn't. But I spend a good chunk of my time in Ohio, which is not so easy going. Even with my CCDW, which is recognized in Ohio and allows me to legally carry a handgun there, I cannot legally conceal certain knives. I doubt anybody ever gets in trouble for a pocket knife though, unless they've done something else to irritate the law.

This thread reminds me I should review relevant laws in both states though.

I hadn't looked at the AKTI site in a while so I checked it. It's up to date on the knife law changes signed into law last year. WI is now very knife - friendly :thumbup:

General quick info about TN is now correct but still has discussion citing statute that no longer exists as such, changed 2 years ago.

- OS

My state is pretty decent as long as you don't actively do stupid things. And with a ccw, most all remaining knife restrictions are encompassed by what I think are the best ccw laws in the nation.

http://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/utah/

The only thing better for carry laws, would be to marry our current ccw statutes, with constitutional carry. Other states may have constitutional carry, but many conditional restrictions that highly limit those freedoms.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Ohio laws are ridiculous. They leave a lot open to interpretation, and city ordinance trumps state. It's basically up to the local police and prosecutor. Many cities around me limit blade length to 2 1/2". I generally get around this by carrying a "tool", I'm a contractor by trade.

In Ohio, state-wide, it's carrying a "concealed weapon" if the jury is convinced you intended it to be a "weapon." It's a mind-reading law. Best of luck.

Then there are the ordinances that Jabe1 mentioned. In Cleveland you face six months in jail for carrying a McDonald's plastic knife - unless a court finds the ordinance unconstitutional for vagueness or for over-breadth.

Trouble is it's very clear: "No person shall knowingly carry, have in his possession or ready at hand any * * * knife having a blade two and one-half inches in length * * * while at or about a public place."

So far, only a Municipal Court has said it is unenforceable as overly-broad, and that decision is not binding on any other judge. Again, good luck. Try to look very middle class if carrying.

Back