How are the new Pro lites?

Like the look of these as a travel folder for overseas. What are your opinions? I've seen some less expensive models I could pick up, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Current Cold Steel collection: Bush Ranger, Medium old school clip point Voyager, small Peace keeper, True Flight Thrower.

It's great, strong & lightweight for EDC, cheap enough that you can dispose it when you run into any trouble with the knife. IMO it has one of the best ergonomic of all CS folders, and to me it's the perfect size.

Others to consider for similar price:
Finn Wolf
Tuff lite

13381352_1110683335637419_1377669068_n.jpg

good knife for the money. sure there is cheaper folders and with better steel but not with the tri-ad lock. for a value folder this one is top of the heap.

Nice folder, though for $30 I think it's just slightly overpriced for it's purpose. You're essentially paying for the Triad lock, cause the steel is not a high end steel by any means. For comparison I paid $20 for knives like the Kershaw OSO Sweet and Tremor, and all they lack that the Pro Lites have is the Triad lock. And since I don't use my EDC knife for cutting firewood, or as a mountain climbing spike, or anything, I simply don't need that level of lock strength in an edc knife. If I was carrying a knife as a self defense tool(like the Espada, XL Vaquero, or Recon 1), or as something that could legit function as an outdoors tool in an emergency(ie the Rajah 2), sure, I want a Triad, no question. But for opening boxes and packages, cutting cord or zip ties, the kinda stuff I use my EDC for, the Triad is overkill, and so if I'm carrying a budget folder, I prefer a cheaper knife that's smoother and easier to close. If you use your EDC for heavier tasks, sure, Triad is a good call....but if you use your folder for heavier tasks, I'd want something bigger than the Pro Lite, something like a Voyager or Recon 1.

I just received a tanto Pro Lite today. It is very comfortable in hand. I'm interested to see how the steel behaves. Hopefully well because it feels like a Goldilocks-size folder. Great design.

Any updated experiences over time anybody can share?

I use my Pro-Lite Clip Point regularly.... mostly for everyday tasks like opening packages or slicing cardboard but it has also seen some gardening (cutting small branches) and food prep (including making some pointed sticks for campfire BBQ).
Edge holding is quite good...of course you can't compare it to XHP, S30V etc. But especially if you consider how easy it is to bring it back to a decent working edge (I normally just give it a few passes on a ceramic fieldsharpener) there is no reason to reject this great knife.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am surprised at how much I like this knife. The FRN even feels like the right heft/durability. Very impressive design that could easily warrant upgraded blade steel. :thumbup:

Thanks for the experience/impressions all. I read somewhere that the Working man is basically a Prolite. That's fine, I simply like the colours and if the steel is close to the Mora Sandvik, a double ok. It usually takes me only a few minutes to get a plain Jane knife steel very sharp, and my uses don't dull them instantaneously either.

Colored handled ones are harder to lose. I'm waiting for one of those.

I just received a Pro Lite tanto point and absolutely love it. Feels great in the hand and can hardly feel it in my pocket. Now my fingers are crossed for an XHP version.

I love mine, got it on Ebay for $28 with free shipping. Not as sturdy as my Lawman, but great for the price.

I got the same one (blue) about a month ago. It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I think I am going to gift this one.

I've gotten the blue clip point and the neon green working man. I really prefer the blade shape of the working man as opposed to the pro-lite serie

Back