How cool would it be... Marine Raider with stacked leather handle & phosphated blade!

I agree that it would move it further from the bk9s category, I am simply saying that the two knives are often compared, and the little extra aesthetic touch might make some of the reviews more favorable towards the sp10.

The sp10 represent an incredible value, and has a very different purpose than the Bk9, but i think their similar size leads to them being compared often.

I agree that it would move it further from the bk9s category, I am simply saying that the two knives are often compared, and the little extra aesthetic touch might make some of the reviews more favorable towards the sp10.

The sp10 represent an incredible value, and has a very different purpose than the Bk9, but i think their similar size leads to them being compared often.

The Sp10 is a fighting knife that could be used as a survival knife whereas the Bk9 is a survival knife that could be used as a fighting knife. I like the SP10 the best for both intended purposes.

I'd just like to see one with a sharpened upper blade like the SP-5 and a steel butt hilt.

I have to admit the idea of of a bare bladed SP-10 with a stacked leather handle would have me buying another one too.

When you look at the leather handled knives from different wars. In reality they held up very well. Given the abuse they took and the maintenance they never received.

It remains to be seen how well miracle petroleum products like krayton and others will stamd the test of time. Moisture may not get them. But ultraviolet rays might.

A clissic leather handled SP line would probably breathe in some fresh air without retooling.

Last edited:
We can't make any promises, but that does sound interesting. Now thinking of it, PKJ, how cool would a Raider with a stacked leather handle and an uncoated blade look in one of your cases. Kind of like our P3 and P4. That would probably have to be a wall-hanger though.

Your description of the Spec Plus series is pretty much spot on. Classic and new knives are made (or remade) with one thing in mind: function. It's all about practicality with the Spec Plus series (although, clearly, the Raider was designed to be impressive to behold as well). To be honest, as much fun as this idea sounds, this is probably the suggestion we've seen here that would be hardest to run with. We discuss everything we get from you guys here though, and hopefully we'll be able to act on at least a few of the really great ideas this forum sends our way.
Hard? You already make knife handles with stacked leather . Grab a second and and make a prototype.
Or send me a second and I will :cool:

I'm really diggin' all these options...
I never got my hands on the marine Raider because of the "not true full tang" it has. If it had a true, visible through the scales tang, I'd buy two of those on a heartbeat.
Please make this happen!

I have to admit the idea of of a bare bladed SP-10 with a stacked leather handle would have me buying another one too.

When you look at the leather handled knives from different wars. In reality they held up very well. Given the abuse they took and the maintenance they never received.

It remains to be seen how well miracle petroleum products like krayton and others will stamd the test of time. Moisture may not get them. But ultraviolet rays might.

A clissic leather handled SP line would probably breathe in some fresh air without retooling.
Great points. I'd buy one or two just because I think it'd be an awesome retro-cool knife. And without the retooling expense, it seems like a quick and productive way to breath a little excitement into the market.

It sounds like mad science.. But i love it.
If its any indication
Just check out what buck knives did with its 119 model
In the form of the retro brahma.
Its obvious that any stack leather handle
Would have to be fitted with a pommel.
Only hope a suitable balance can be achieved.

I'm really diggin' all these options...
I never got my hands on the marine Raider because of the "not true full tang" it has. If it had a true, visible through the scales tang, I'd buy two of those on a heartbeat.
Please make this happen!

Sounds good!

Been quite a while since I have posted anything on this, or any forum. But, my ordering another SP10 yesterday to add a duplicate to my collection, has me here to reminisce ☺ Anyhow, I have purchased some other Ontario products since my first specimen (I think 12 thus far), and am fond of adding them to my collection. The last couple were the Ontario 18" machete, and the SP16 Spax (which fits into my more recent collecting some tomahawks, hatchets/light axes). Now I am simply looking forward to receiving my duplicate SP10 this week. Nice to see that more folks are seemingly liking my idea of an SP10 in retro (leather stacked handle, metal pommel to go with the already metal guard, and a phosphated blade finish). Maybe it could still happen.

Last edited:
SP-10s are just plain useful they way they are, with the others talk about it would make them even better!

2j31ulg.jpg

Received my SP10 today (my second SP10 specimen for my collection). Sadly, it did not come with a phosphated blade, leather handle, or steel pommel... lol! 😉 That said, it does differ from my other SP10 by having it's info laser engraved into the blade, rather than it being stamped in like the other one I have. I still prefer the stamped in look, but having both works too 😉 Now, if I could only add that imagined retro SP10, I would be in Raider Bowie heaven 😉

Oh, btw, I have even another idea for the retro... Instead of the steel guard it currently has... Maybe a polished solid brass guard and pommel to really set off the leather handle and phosphated blade (the standard black powder coat can work as well). The whole thing very reminiscent to the marine combat P4 that Ontario did up as donations to the TFD (Task Force Dagger) organization. I have three of those, and they are great looking specimens that carry much of the style that I believe a retro SP 10 could easily follow ☺

k0nkgp.jpg

Here in this display I house one of my Task Force Dagger Ontario P4 Marine Corps style combat knives. The black epoxy/powder coat finish, brass pommel & guard, and leather handle.... well, I just think it would be ideal on the SP10. The pommel on the P4 being screwed onto the tang, means the SP10 tang would have to be threaded at it's end to follow the same idea... But would likely make the leather handle idea work out pretty good during manufacturing... Or so I think, anyway ☺

14cfwwx.jpg

Here is a pic I borrowed from the Task Force Dagger Foundation website... The knives are still being offered at $75, and the proceeds are donated to a great cause. Anyhow... Just wanted to share ☺

Last edited:
Even in its standard version the SP-10 is a great versatile knife. I'd like to know what people use them for besides chopping and batoning and bushwhacking.

2j31ulg.jpg

Oh, btw, I have even another idea for the retro... Instead of the steel guard it currently has... Maybe a polished solid brass guard and pommel....
.. well, I just think it would be ideal on the SP10.

14cfwwx.jpg

Here is a pic I borrowed from the Task Force Dagger Foundation website...

Nice, but I would rather have a harder pommel material to pound with.

Back