How did you come up with you BF user name?

When I first ventured out into the vast unknown wilderness of teh Interwebz back in the mid-'90s, trying to learn as much as I could about blacksmithing in an hour's worth of forum reading since I was on long-distance dialup, the news was full of cautionary tales of the dangers of those who lurked online. So I chose something that seemed fairly generic, derived as it is from The Lord of the Rings and teh Interwebz being full of nerds, and could be easily discarded. Over half my current lifetime later, the throwaway handle is still what I use for the most part. I do put my name in my signature, though.

I just used my brand name and my Avatar is my Logo/ biz card. it was Rhinoknives back in 2000 and then I took a break from here for a couple of years and went to Knifedogs. The 1 on the end is because they couldn't find my old account and I had to reenlist. ;)

I wouldn't concern yourself with it. We can just say, Hey You! If you feel that is more personal buddy Buddy like? :)

Last edited:
Years ago, before the Feds asserted themselves on Black Friday, I played a lot of on-line poker. Several different kinds as I recall. No limit holdem, Omaha and tournaments. I used synthesist as my screen name everywhere I played. It suits me well. Here on BF I'd just as happily use my given name. No reason not to.

Corey "synthesist" Gimbel

reading greek mythology as a kid naturally led into reading philosophy as a young teenager right? I wanted to be like socrates, plato, and aristotle and as a kid you did not use your real name on the internet ...so I mademyself an alter ego and timostheos was born and eventually shortened to timos

Because I like complexity?

Actually Confucius nailed it- "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

We use the name of my company. The name was taken from the legendary Overmountain Men who gathered here to fight in the revolutionary war. In Abingdon, and in two other locations in the area these men gathered to make the hike to SC and fight Ferguson's Red Coats. Their tactics inspired the Mel Gibson movie and changed special services military tactics for years to come. Their willingness to give their lives to protect a country during its birth also became a cornerstone of what it means to be a patriot.

As a current LEO, and formerly serving in other capacities to protect our civil liberties, I want our company to assist true patriots in keeping us safe. As well as provide knives, tools and gear that falls in line with this purpose. As well as our leisure activities related to the world outside our door, and over our mountains. I have also volunteered and been employed to mark, preserve and measure the trails used by these men through SW VA, NE TN, and NW NC.

Cheers! And see our site or hosted subforum here!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Back