How did you get into the hobby of Knives?

I was given a knife by my father when I started the first grade. I didn’t start collecting until after high school. Limited edition traditionals and Puma mostly.

It was a good time for budding collectors around Dallas in the eighties. A lot of knife stores were going out of business and I was able to pick up quite a few folders and some fixed blades at 50 to 70% off the original asking price.

I started selling those off to fund my move to modern folders around 2009.

When I was growing up the the 1960s, my dad almost always carried a pocket knife - usually a stockman, but sometimes he would carry a scout/camp knife or some other knife.

He gave me my first knife when I was very young (7? 8?). It was one of his well worn scout/camp knives. By the time I was in the ninth grade, I had five or six knives, two of which were fixed blades - one of those was a nice fixed blade hunting knife. I didn't really think of it as a collection, though.

By the time I was in my forties, half the knives I had as a kid were lost along the way, and the other half were put up as keepsakes. My mom gave me a knife for my birthday (my dad had passed some years before), and I carried a knife most days, but I still wasn't a collector or a knife knut.

Sometime around 2010, I started getting more interested in knives - bought a few, family members gave me a few more - and I've been buying them like a fiend ever since.

My dad got me into knives...and guns....and fishing...and the outdoors. I owe him a lot. He gave me my first knife when I was 6. I took that one to school shortly after to show my friends, but got caught after school. It was taken away for a while and given back at a later time. Ever since then I've been hooked. Just recently we've gotten more into the upper scale knife game, which has proven to be an expensive hobby.

My grandpa gave me my first knife when I was a teenager (14 or so). He said a proper gentleman should always carry a knife. I didn't realize it at the time, but my dad also carried a SAK most too when I asked him about knives. He was waiting to have this conversation with me, but grandpa beat him too it.

I’ve always liked knives. I probably had my first in Cub Scouts.

About three years ago I started to EDC. At the time, I did’t even know EDC was a “thing.” I just figured that a knife was something a man should have on him...always, not just for work or when there was a high likelihood of need. I broke out my old Delica 1, Gerber EZ-out, SOG, and SAK. Still not a hobby.

A bit over 2 years ago I almost simultaneously discovered BladeForums, YouTube, and most importantly the ZT 0450. That knife opened my eyes to a whole new world (and a significantly lighter wallet). I’ve been a knife kook ever since. My buddies think I’m insane. They’re probably right.

YouTube was a big influence on me when I was first discovering knives as a hobby. Not so much now.

I was gifted, what looked like, a mini buck 110 when I was 7 or 8. I haven’t been the same since. What really set it of was a Benchmade Mini-AFCK when I was about 12.

^ same here. I had some knives since I was 6ish years old. I carried a benchmade auto from 12 years old on, EDC'd for about 8 years, when a friend kicked it into the river. Got a replacement for it, another Benchmade, and somehow looked online afterwards to see what knives, if any, were sold online (not a huge tech/internet person). And to my surprise, there were an insane amount!! AND, I was hooked! Down the rabbit hole

Yeah It's crazy to think about the terms now and when my dad was in the hobby. He use to sub to blade magazine and was a full on knife collector. Spent his time reading knife books pre internet or early internet days. I just threw away a book of his probably near as old as I am. ( The book got peed on by a cat)

He's only 53 and I'm 29 and he have never heard the term EDC yet he's EDC a spyderco delica on his keys for like 20 years. It's a new term now known.

Nice thread! I simply got into knives because I was tired of using a little utility razor blade for the task my career presents me with on a day to day basis (electrician). I’m now a proud owner of a good collection of well made knives and I’m $800 into my WE system..now if only the wife would think this was all a good idea, we would be golden!

Nice thread! I got into knives due to every knife in my house as a kid not being capable of cutting paper. They were so dull it wasn't funny. I begin watching videos and learning then I was hooked. Now I own too many knives to count.

I was given a knife by my father when I started the first grade. I didn’t start collecting until after high school. Limited edition traditionals and Puma mostly.

It was a good time for budding collectors around Dallas in the eighties. A lot of knife stores were going out of business and I was able to pick up quite a few folders and some fixed blades at 50 to 70% off the original asking price.

I started selling those off to fund my move to modern folders around 2009.
This was actually successful? That’s awesome man. I did something similar but not quite as snazzy. I purchased the WE, knowing if I got good enough it would pay for itself. I just broke even recently and now I’m using that part of this hobby to pay for my knives. I’m pretty excited about this.

This was actually successful? That’s awesome man. I did something similar but not quite as snazzy. I purchased the WE, knowing if I got good enough it would pay for itself. I just broke even recently and now I’m using that part of this hobby to pay for my knives. I’m pretty excited about this.

That is awesome. I still have an Edge Pro from when I started.

When I was young I used to love to look at those eyewitness books pertaining to spies, WWI etc in my school library. Used to find all that stuff very interesting including the guns and knives within.

These things
3240096.jpg

Did judo since I was a kid and always was attracted to japanese culture and became fascinated with their swords and weapons and history. My old Japanese teacher was a youth in Japan in ww2 and kind of instilled that sort of japanese mythology in us.

Then I got older and had some money so I bought some knives. Never looked back.

Started of with a slow night shift at work and You Tube. Watching clips from Kick ass then Bali-song trick videos.
Thanks to a You Tube tangent, cutlery-lover was doing a EDC video and showed off a blue Spyderco Dodo.
I was like WTF is that and I must own one, about two weeks later I scored one off the bay (an orange one)and was hooked ever since.

Back