How do I clean ceramic sharpening rods?

I have a Lansky sharpening system that uses ceramic rods in a V set up. The finer set of rods were originally white but are now steel grey all around, and do not seem to work as well as they used to. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning these? I thought about soap and water, but I am afraid that the powdered steel imbedded in them will rust and cause bigger problems. Vinegar or another acid of some sort maybe? Thanks for the help in advance.

Peat

I always clean my lansky stones with Dawn and water. No rusting problems. Can't see how the ceramic would be any different.

Soft Scrub with a magic eraser after every use, huge difference. Ajax or Comet will the same.

Commet or bar keepers friend and a green scrubby pad

Dont use agressive abrasives. I use a synthetic rubber eraser as a stone cleaner. PM me your address and I'll mail you a free stone cleaner!!!

I have used ajax/comet with a green scotch brite pad until I found the Rust Eraser and I use that between sharpening and I don't even have to get them wet using the rust erasers

Hi, I have successfully cleaned ceramic sharpening rods back to new condition by immersing them in a wine bottle full of brick acid ( Hydrochloric acid ) and leaving for 24 hours.Works a treat,dissolving all the metal particles even stainless.
You can easily get this acid from a builders supplies.
Hope this helps.
Biffo

I have experimented with many different ways to remove the 'fill' on my ceramic sharpening tools and so far the one that worked the best is my ultrasonic cleaner I use for watch part cleaning. I know the first thing you all are going to say is "What! now I have to buy another tool!" Not saying that necessarily. Ultrasonic does its unique agitation but what I thing did the most for the cleaning is the solution. It's an ammonia and paint thinner mix best I can tell but the exact ingredients are not listed.
What I found is if you soak the ceramic rods the mix will lift out much of the imbedded particles. Also the aforementioned Comet or any tile cleaner will work but you just need to scrub till all the material or most of it is removed. I tried one of those rare earth magnets and although you would think the particles are of iron oxide origin they are not. A good knife blade is virtually all stainless steel. That's my two cents.

Back