How do I critique a designers knife?

It is fine to say "this handle does not fit my hand" I've had expensive knives not fit my hand.

I've reshaped, heavily, micarta scales that were way too big for my hands. 2xl hands.

Some palm swells are way too big or pronounced for my hands, and never quite feel right.

One question.... in talking to the maker, did you tell him you have xl or xxl hands? He might have upsized his handle sizex and gone overboard. It is very common.

I've done it for my own hands!! Misjudged the way a handle will fit, once the scales would be on.

Last edited:
It is fine to say "this handle does not fit my hand" I've had expensive knives not fit my hand.

I've reshaped, heavily, micarta scales that were way too big for my hands. 2xl hands.

Some palm swells are way too big or pronounced for my hands, and never quite feel right.

One question.... in talking to the maker, did you tell him you have xl or xxl hands? He might have upsized his handle sizex and gone overboard. It is very common.

I've done it for my own hands!! Misjudged the wayba handle will fit after putting scales on.

I didn't have options about handle size, this is their generic size for "everybody"... I just mentioned that my hands are not small, which is why I was surprised that I can't grab it well

I didn't have options about handle size, this is their generic size for "everybody"... I just mentioned that my hands are not small, which is why I was surprised that I can't grab it well

Weird. But definitely would not be the first knife I've picked up, from high end production to custom where I thought "nope, that's not going to work"

To preface: I don’t know who this particular maker is, and individuals certainly vary in their ways of responding to feedback. That can make it a bit dicey. I’ll also add that my particular platform for giving feedback is mostly through YouTube reviews, though this has lead to some direct communication with a few makers. With that out of the way...

I find it helpful to report the facts of a thing, more than my feelings on that thing. What that might specifically look like here could be something like measuring your palm height (from heel of the palm up to the start of your middle finger), and demonstrating how the handle lines up with a hand of that size. Walk observers/viewers through that, so that they can determine how their hand size relates to yours, which will help them determine for themselves how the handle would line up with their own hands. It’s as close as it gets to “putting the knife in their hands”.

By focusing on description instead of “good/bad” based on subjective experience, you allow viewers to make an informed decision of their own.

The maker quickly got back to me about my concerns. I'll quote some of the conversation....

"Hi XXXXX,

I'm glad you like the XXXXXXX. It is a perennial favorite of our customers. In answer to your questions regarding the handle.

To keep it short, The XXXXXXX pattern was taken off an original 1800's model XXXXX that belonged to XXXX. It is a full tang [no holes other than for the pins] and our standard 1/4" phenolic slabs.

We can customize to any handle thickness you want in phenolic. Mods to the handle slabs are $35 plus the shipping back to you.

The reshaping of the underside of the handle can be done for $20. We just need to know how much you want removed.

The original slabs are indeed epoxied as well as pinned. They can be removed with a bit of effort; but, they are not made to be removed.

Yes, you can grind it down yourself if you wish; but, if at any time it fails at that point, the warranty could be void. We would have to see the knife.

I hope this answers your questions. If not please let me know.

have a fine day

best regards
XXXX"

I would say that was a Very complementary response, and I look forward to Now, using this knife, knowing that any handle issues that I may feel exist, can be resolved....

Thank you All for your advice, and hopefully I can do a review in the coming weeks.... Before and after any mods.

$250 for a custom knife? You get what you pay for. I’m impressed with their response.

$250 for a custom knife? You get what you pay for. I’m impressed with their response.

Semi-custom....(how I ordered it)
I Just choose one of two grinds, and color of scales.

And I agree, I like their response.... And for a little bit more money only.... It Would have been custom.

My next knife will be from them.

Sounds like the maker is more than willing to help, very nice, and I hope to see a review once you get a chance to play with it.

Tell them it sucks and then put them on blast on your Instagram.

LOL

Back