How do i explain to my dad why i need a knife for bushcraft?

Hello I am 15 years old and I have been interested in bushcraft and have tried to practice as much skills as I can but found that I need a knife for a lot of them: carving, batoning, chopping, fire craft. But the problem is my parents don't allow me to get one, my mom says it's fine but my dad says I don't need one, even if I try to explain he says no, I have tried countless times but still no i have been trying for 4 years. Any advice on how to convince or explain to my dad why I need one for bushcraft?

Sounds like you can't convince your dad verbally.
Do your very best to convince your dad with your actions and behavior.
Not saying your behavior is bad or lacking, but your dad may be concerned whether you can handle a knife responsibly.

Being the most responsible and compliant version of yourself, is the best chance you've got.

Last edited:
Perhaps he’ll agree to letting you have an Opinel or Mora blunt-tip knife. If you file the spine to a right angle, you may be able to use it on a ferro rod, and you can still do a lot without a pointed tip. Batoning is not terribly effective anyway imho and you would be better served with a silky saw (my opinion). Just don’t bring the knife to school, as that’s illegal.

Last edited:
Put the effort into the other bushcraft skills and interests, as well as become knowledgeable on your local laws. Don't make it an argument, but try to get your dad to explain his point of view. Keeping in mind that adults often hold opinions that they have not thought about at all, or come from their own very painful pasts, which they don't really want to revisit. There is a lot of stuff you can do without a knife, and as much as a lot of people don't think about it, basic day to day skills of the modern era are just our version of the life skills that were needed a hundred years ago that we now call bushcraft. Being able to fix a tap and being able to make a water filter are in some ways a similar style or type of skill. My being able to write a grocery list and my ability to food plan for a couple weeks at a time or even create a larger food supply that can be cooked in adverse conditions are just extensions of each other. I had the advantage of growing up in the wilderness with parents who understood that those skills might actually save my life. Where I live now I know heaps of people who spent as much time in swimming lessons as I did in the woods because people here spend a lot of time in pools and the ocean, and the smart ones know how to be ready for an incident in that environment. It's also basic car repair/care, and those modern things. I know that it's the bushcraft that you are interested and that's cool, but you can use all those other areas to show you are responsible, which will help. Also, there is no bushcraft without the bush, if there is a volunteer group in your area that maintains trails or plants trees (you'd be amazed at how many urban tree planting groups there are) that again is another avenue to learn. And yeah, worst comes to it, you become an adult and you do your own thing, but if you spend the next three years getting a heap of skills that don't "need" a knife you will far more able to problem solve. Add to that, you should do a first aid course anyway if you haven't already, and other tools like saws and hatchets have their own risks, but might not have the same perception, and you can do a lot with a saw.
But the thing to keep in mind is that parents make decisions and then spend the rest of their lives wondering if they did the right thing. So ask, but don't be shocked if you get the answer when you are 25, just don't let that be a thorn in the relationship, overall it's not worth a fight.

What is his reasoning for not letting you have a knife? Often an explicit reason is given and there is sometimes some unspoken reason too.

I think the easiest step, without getting into trouble, is borrowing one the family already has. A paring knife makes a decent bushcraft knife for starting out. It will do many of the cutting tasks up to batoning and chopping.

Another alternative is a small axe or hawk or a multitool (MT that has a blade, of course). in many areas, there are legal reasons to be more cautious of knives just because of overzealous LEO's (most are reasonable, some are less so). Axes are nearly free reign as long as it doesn't have a spike and multitools show other capabilities so it's not "just a knife."

I've seen one guy do a video with a leatherman and a cold steel shovel as his only 2 cutting tools for a week or 2 trip. He actually used the shovel, with a sharpened edge, to do most of the heavy lifting of cutting.

Last edited:
If you have to explain it: he's just not going to understand...
If your Dad was able to trust your judgement: no explanation would be necessary.
Show him through your actions; and you will earn that trust...
Good luck!

I think the easiest step, without getting into trouble, is borrowing one the family already has. A paring knife makes a decent bushcraft knife for starting out. It will do many of the cutting tasks up to batoning and chopping.
“without getting into trouble,”

In what world, does a kid pleading his case to his father for a knife and being told no, do you think the best answer is to take a family kitchen knife to use in bushcrafting. That is the opposite of the being responsible.

“without getting into trouble,”

In what world, does a kid pleading his case to his father for a knife and being told no, do you think the best answer is to take a family kitchen knife to use in bushcrafting. That is the opposite of the being responsible.

Borrowing suggests borrowing, not taking or stealing. Borrowing implies consent from the owner as "borrowing without consent" is considered taking and/or stealing.

We obviously live in different worlds.

I have not been in trouble for borrowing anything as long as it wasn't damaged in use (that's never the aim but crap happens). Rule of thumb is generally to return something in better condition than you borrowed it in, but that's not always possible, of course.

I'm not sure what assumptions you're running with, but I'm pretty confused on how borrowing something is "the opposite of responsible." Probably those different worlds we live in. Borrowing is quite an acceptable practice in my world.

I still stand behind my recommendation. If your parents won't let you have your own knife, ask to borrow one theirs. Paring knives are usually quite inexpensive and will do many of the bushcrafting tasks he wants, outside of wood processing.

Edit: rearranged for clarity. I guess some people can equate borrowing with taking.

Last edited:
My advice: Look at yourself first:

Why do you need one? do you have another knife? Fire building, Fire starting, shelter building don't need a bushcraft knife.

Are you trustworthy? Will you show it off? A bushcraft knife isn't something you really want to have around your friends. Its something for you to do bushcraft with.

Are your grades good? My rules with my kids were pretty lenient. Keep your grades up and you have a lot of freedom? After that, it was "don't do anything too stupid".
My son had a dragonfly and swiss army knife that took him through Eagle Scout recently and the DragonFly was overkill. We took a bushcraft course together and my son was far better than I. He was able to build his bowdrill and get a fire started with it. I was just making my arm tired. We did all of this with a Mora 511.

Is it a cost thing? Can you get away with a Mora 511 or Mora Companion?

Then look at it from your father's point of view. Why does he object?

Bob Denman Bob Denman had it right. Show him through your actions, not your words.

Two things:

- say hello to your dad and tell him the following story from me: my dad didn't allow me to have a motorcycle. Now, in my late 50s, I'm still obsessed with them, ride around 400 clicks per week. For him, the veto back-fired.
- also, maybe you guys can make a deal .... you achieve something under the condition that you'll get your knife when you're successful. Everything can be negotiated ....

Good luck ... and welcome to the forum.

Roland.

First off, no one needs a bush-crafting knife, if you have other knives they can easily be used for that purpose.

If the issue is a lack of trust or maturity, then you are going to have to work on that. Unfortunately, we live in a world where simply having a knife on you at the wrong time or place can lead to huge legal exposures. Even for adults it often feels like we are dancing through a minefield. Also, unless you live on a farm, you can’t just chop down your garden or the local public park. You should be learning to drive about now…you will need that and a car to get you to a nice forest. Take the time to learn about knives, local laws and the educate for their carry and use. Time is on your side, learn first, then spend your money.

Btw, what knife are you looking to buy?

n2s

Last edited:
Maybe see about getting a job... Gainful employment will not only display some responsibility, but provide you with the loot to buy a knife with. If this job is one involving manual labor, and requires a knife all the better. That way you have more than the "want" end of the spectrum covered.

Oh, I forgot to think about location. Where are you doing your bushcraft? Maybe he doesn't want you cutting down all the trees in the back yard. If there is no place that you can go locally and safely do these activities (parks near a school are no good), then maybe he's on to something.

E Edgarthewanabebushcrafter sorry if we are not more supportive, but you're talking to a bunch of dads. To be honest, at 15, I wouldn't have bought my son a bushcraft knife. He couldn't take it on scout outings (no fixed blades in our troop) and for the bushcraft he practiced in the back yard, he could use a pocket knife and a hatchet, saw or axe from the garage. BTW, there isn't a bunch of skill in battoning.

good luck and concentrate on doing what you can do, rather than what you can't. That is probably the best way to show responsibility. If you can't start a fire with a single match and a swiss army knife, you need some practice.

Last edited:
Back