How do I fix gaps on a horn handled AK

I need some help folks. I have a 12" AK with a horn handle used very little and there seems to be a slight gap between the brass sections on both ends. I think maybe the horn has shrunk? What is the best way to fill this gap? This is the first HI Khukuri I bought from Uncle Bill so its really special to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Epoxy works great, as does superglue. I went the two-part epoxy route just because it was a bit easier to manipulate and matched the horn's color a bit better. :)

It'll work, but why not use black epoxy (Devcon makes some that's available most places) and have it match pretty close?

I use Acraglas Gel with black colorant, and have fixed large gaps and even huge broken-out chunks and you have a hard time seeing the repair. Word to the wise--only hand sand epoxy fixes, and they'll polish up almost as nice as the horn. If you use any kind of power tool other than a buffer at the end, the epoxy softens with the heat and will stay a dull finish.

If you want to try and rehydrate the horn before you fill the gap, try a product called Hooflex. It's available at most feed stores that cater to horses. Basically it sort of re-plumps the horn and might seal the crack without having to add any epoxy. If not, I suggest black epoxy:)

The Neats Foot Oil also hydrated the horn very nicely for me. I just put a nice layer of it on there and left it over night then wiped off the excess. It was great!

Back