How do I preserve and protect stag handle?

I've been using mineral oil for years as well on stag and ivory, however keep in mind that it can stain/darken areas of some light color ivory handles.

I've already commented on this thread but I will add that Tony Bose used Formby's Lemon Oil on all his natural handles (stag/ebony/wood). It has been long discontinued but is still available on eb@y.

Ballistol is great for getting glue and tape off of your knife blade

Last edited:
Soak it in the sink or put it in the dish washer. Just kidding, don't do that. If you don't do those things, you will be fine.

I consider myself to be a Stag-a-holic, I collect stag knives, custom and production. I also buy stag scales so I can supply the maker of my choice with the stag of my choice. I probably have about 35 stag handle knives in my collection, the oldest probably around 70 years old. I don't have any of the damage that you mention. I also don't have any special care regime to suggest. Handling my knives on a regular basis helps I think.

I've heard it suggested to give stag a bath in warm mineral oil, but I've never tried it. If any of the signs of wear start showing on my knives I would try it.

I'm going to watch this thread for other suggestions.
I've seen a video on Google how to stabilize stag. Perhaps shrinking and cracking is do to not stabilizing your stag? It's a process that takes the stag place in I belive resin and then under vacuum leave 24 hours. This allows voids to fill. Doing this will also make stag heaver.

I've never had a problem with any stag handles on my knives or any that have been handed down. I've heard mineral oil mentioned many times

I have never used anything on my Stag and I have never had a problem.

Natural materials will shrink and move from a change in humidity and temperature. However I feel that the biggest contributor to problems is how the handle material was handled and managed by the knife maker in the build.

I have seen many Ivory slabs crack because the maker overheated them in the fitment and shaping process. A good maker who understands how to handle and manage natural materials will go a long way in mitigating problems. However if you take a knife that was built in Florida and transport it to Denver, expect to see shrinkage and possibly some cracking due to changes in ambient conditions.

Back