How To How do I prevent scales from cracking when peening them?

Sorry for the beginner's question but... I'm a beginner, as of this weekend.

I am peening in brass pins with a peening hammer and on a vice that has a small flat hammering section.

How do know how much to peen the pins so they are secure, hold the scales and plates together, but don't crack the scales?

I would appreciate your advice, folks! :)

6HEnjX5.jpg
U can practice on a dummy pin held inside vise to see how it expands

Using a reamer on the scale holes or putting a slight chamfer on the hole will greatly reduce splitting. As you see in HSC's photo, the pin enlarges down the shank a good distance.

Use light blows and quit when the pin is flared enough.

Sorry for the beginner's question but... I'm a beginner, as of this weekend.

I am peening in brass pins with a peening hammer and on a vice that has a small flat hammering section.

How do know how much to peen the pins so they are secure, hold the scales and plates together, but don't crack the scales?

I would appreciate your advice, folks! :)
Don t try to peen them with a few hammer blows , a lot of light strokes will do the job better .
Pins leave about two millimeters to protrude , it is enough to peen them down .
A little taper in the hole of scales helps lot , when you peen pins they expand ..
Not every wood is the same.....harder the wood more easy will crack .Say if you use walnut you can peen them hard .....walnut can handle that .
I always use shim in thickness of protruding pin under when i start to peen first side .When I peen both side little no need for shims .Work on both side alternately.....

This might not work for every application but if you flare a small tube into the hole, with an inner diameter of your pin and then pein your pin into that it looks pretty cool! You can be more gentle on the tube and it can take some of the brunt of the peening on the pin...

Back