How do members get involved?

How do we get members involved in educational and other programs?

Can we put together course material on safe knife handling and sharpening that members could teach to scouts or other groups?

I want AKTI to grow but let's shift the focus from increasing numbers to mobilizing the members we have effectively.

I guess at this point I don't know how I can be most effective as a PARTICIPATING member of AKTI instead of just a member.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

CJ Buck

This is an excellent question.

The best involvement in grassroots politics always comes from people who are savvy in the local opinions. What AKTI has tried to do is deliver, via the web page, some how to information. D' Holder worked to put together the outlines for school and organizational presentation which we all could find opportunities to use. I am on our local city's "speakers bureau" talking to 5th grade classes about being responsible citizens and using my professional life as an example. I will use the guidelines this next year.

We also wanted to be able to mobilize and be a gathering point for local efforts to fight unclear or ignorant legislation. Not much came up this year except for weapons on school grounds and we made a decision not to argue with what we saw.

getting more members strengthens us when knives are targeted from a financial, foot soldier, and eyes and ears in the field.

Any thoughts to add??

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

I also agree that it is time to get more pro-active. Do the most with what we've got.

All of us seem to be "writers" as demonstrated by our involvement. What about coming up with a subject and direction that we can individually write to ??? about. For example, I would like to see more knives used in films, but in positive ways. "Hero runs into room with tied up hanging starlet, he quickly deploys his one hand open folder, cuts the rope and saves the girl and the day". etc.

How can we use our writing skills to Make that happen? We're film watchers and knowledgable knife users, what scene suggestions can we offer? Who do we write to? etc.

sal

I know that we've been trying hard to get the word out, but I think the biggest thing that current members can do is really try to get all the knife "lovers" and supporters out there to sign up to a membership at AKTI. I think that there are many more knife people than the number we have at AKTI. We need to have those people realize the importance of AKTI before we can start pressing to the regular public.

Just my thoughts...

------------------
-Humpty

AKTI Member # A000984
Proverbs 23:2

Would making AKTI memberships available through the BladeForums Store help?

I mean we have over 4000 members here. Surely we can get a larger percentage of them to join and support AKTI.

I would even be willing to pay an extra $5.00 or so a year to help support BladeForums.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

It's a vicious cycle - trying to get members and trying to have programs that are useful and people see as benefits. We really need to do both at the same time - money permitting.

Yes, members can get involved by helping plan educational programs - we can add all that information to the web site. They could also help me with the information section on the web site. There are so many ideas of information we could offer - parts of knives, safety, history, etc. Having members help put the content together would be TERRIFIC! I need help with content because I'm not very "knife knowledgeable"! Any more ideas? volunteers? Help me with your expertise - we'll be glad to acknowledge you!
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Back