"how do they do it" damascus steel

Anybody catch that on The Science Channel???

What a load of crap that all was.

I was excited about the episode, until I actually watched it. :barf:

Last edited:
Anybody catch that on The Science Channel???

What a load of crap that all was.

I was excited about the episode, until I actually watched it. :barf:

Missed. I'll have to see when it's re-airing...I'd love to see what crap it was...the only way to defeat the enemy is to know the enemy....

-d

Don't know if this is the same thing as what you saw Nick, but they had this load of crap on awhile ago:

http://science.discovery.com/videos/how-do-they-do-it-6-creating-super-steel.html

I had to laugh pretty hard at some of it, especially the parts about "swirls" and the "flaming quench" that was done in "ice cold water" :rolleyes: .

With the spread of misinformation like this, there's no wonder there are so many misconceptions and fallacies about blades.

"flaming quench" that was done in "ice cold water" :rolleyes: .

I saw the "ice cold water" burst into flames. Pretty impressive getting that water to light on fire! He would be a very wealthy man with knowledge of how to extract that kind of power from mere water! :eek:

Alas, he keeps the secret to himself to make super steel. :mad:

Last edited:
I like how he makes the energy go in a spiral in the sword to prevent it from breaking. Wonder if Don or Ed can do that?

Don't know if this is the same thing as what you saw Nick, but they had this load of crap on awhile ago:

http://science.discovery.com/videos/how-do-they-do-it-6-creating-super-steel.html

I had to laugh pretty hard at some of it, especially the parts about "swirls" and the "flaming quench" that was done in "ice cold water" :rolleyes: .

With the spread of misinformation like this, there's no wonder there are so many misconceptions and fallacies about blades.

Omg I saw this too and was doing the facepalm the whole damn time...

I am not a forging knifemaker and my knowledge on the subject is pretty fair, not great.....but the whole time I was like "what a load of bullshit this is...."

Well I'm glad some of you guys saw it too. I thought maybe I had imagined it! :rolleyes: :D

Odd they would be spreading so much crap when it looked to be a very well equipped shop.

I'm still intrigued as to why you would start by facing a bar of steel in a CNC machining center, and then take it over and beat it on the anvil.

Oh wait... they explained that!!! They were imparting the swirly molecule magic to make super steel!

One of my favorite parts is where they say he gets up to $22,000 for his swords. :foot:

Well I just watched the video Graham put the link up for, and while it's the same story... it's a MUCH ABBREVIATED version of what I recorded on the DVR.

Sadly, they edited out a lot of the crap that was so entertaining!!! :eek: :grumpy: :rolleyes:

;)

You guys missed out on him cutting grass mats, the initial precision machining of the bar... the part where he breaks a bar of steel in the vise and clearly shows how "regular steel" is way too brittle for a super sword... :rolleyes:

At least you all did get to see the flaming water quench!!! :D

i will hav eot see this but i say a part of the clip at some point the water quench making fire tho is wht i remember

im done tring to make Ti weld to carbon steel that seems to easy im shootingn for makign water burn

futurama05.jpg

STEEL DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT!

As I read the comments above I said to myself "must be about that goofball Watson from Angelsword..." and sure enough, it is.

Be careful what you say...he'll sue every one of us for defamation of character and any other lunacy he can dream up. :rolleyes:

As I read the comments above I said to myself "must be about that goofball Watson from Angelsword..." and sure enough, it is.

Be careful what you say...he'll sue every one of us for defamation of character and any other lunacy he can dream up. :rolleyes:

yup....he'll sue just like he did "another forum".....for

drevil-1.jpg

Earlier in 2003, ----------------(Plantiff) filed a $2 million lawsuit against ----------(Defendant) alleging libel and defamation. The lawsuit was presided by Judge Sam Sparks of the US District, Western District of Texas.

In April of 2004 Judge Sam Sparks threw the Plaintiff's lawsuit out - with prejudice. According to the attorney respresenting ---, this is the highest form of sanction against a lawsuit. Further, the Plaintiff's attorney was fined for contempt of court as he completely failed to show up to Docket Call which precedes going to trial. Judge Sparks ruled, "all costs are to be bourne by the Plaintiff".

http://www.adrr.com/sword/watson02.htm

make your own decision

Last edited:
You know I feel silly I didn't realize that was him. I have no idea how it escaped me!

Oh well...

I wonder how much Kevin assisted with show production????

:p :p :p ;) :D

:) I do have a thought to ruin the day of every thinking adult.

Every show on swords, blades or ferrous metal working I have seen on the History Channel, The Discovery Channel, TLC, the Science Channel and others has been appallingly bad due to errors and misinformation even a 3 year old would have a hard time swallowing that I realized they simply do not do any vetting of information at all. I complain a bit about the knife magazines but they are encyclopedic compared to the hacks doing TV. And I have told them almost as much when I get a call or message every so often looking about for another dolt to use on camera.

But this is what will really keep you awake at night- one day while watching one of these train wrecks of misinformation I said to a friend that I hoped they did just a little better with other topics... and then it hit me:eek:. The only reason I knew how bad the shows on blades and steel were was because I really know that topic and they have nothing to teach me. Then it became obvious that every show they make is probably just as filled with garbage and I simply lack the knowledge to filter all of them!!!:eek:

Now think of the number of people you know who rely and that tripe for their education on numerous topics they had no prior exposure to, and let it sink in how totally ignorant and dumbed down our society really is:(.

But this is what will really keep you awake at night- one day while watching one of these train wrecks of misinformation I said to a friend that I hoped they did just a little better with other topics... and then it hit me:eek:. The only reason I knew how bad the shows on blades and steel were was because I really know that topic and they have nothing to teach me. Then it became obvious that every show they make is probably just as filled with garbage and I simply lack the knowledge to filter all of them!!!:eek:

I realized this a long time go. It's why I never watch tv. ;)

Funny you mention that Kevin. I just told Angi the very same thing last night.... "If they so blatantly spew misinformation on a subject I know something about... how bad are the ones I don't know anything about and think are so cool???"

I'll admit it though.... I'll still happily watch things like "How it's Made" and wonder how much dumber I may be getting. ;) :D

I realized this a long time go. It's why I never watch tv. ;)

We don't have cable, so we have only 13 channels of utter dreck (as my grandmother would say) to filter.

Hey, I think one of you guys should call "Dirty Jobs" and get the host to come over and sweep up your shop. :D

Back