How do you all sharpen your knives?

I use my K.O. WorkSharp for the worst of it. Just a plain set of Arkansas stones and a strop, for detail work and finishing up

Interesting stuff here. About 45 years ago I went from really soft stones to a buck washita Stone (never knew what grit is was). Back then i never knew the importance of keeping a consistent angle but somehow lucked out and could get anything shaving sharp freehand.I would spend weeks in the field using nothing but an EZ Lap steel to keep blades serviceable and fix them with the Washita when I got back. We had never heard the term "secondary bevel". We called it "taking the shoulder back". In the last few years my arthritic old hands started not being able to hold a consistent angle so I got a Sharpmaker (works perfect but doesn’t have enough choice in angles), and a Ken Onion Worksharp. I find i have a hard time holding blades flat against the guides so I end up with more inconsistent angles than when I freehand on stones. My plan now is to get the blade grinding attachment and maybe even fasten a block to that flat area that would support the blade while it’s against the belt. Has Anyone else tried that? Is it a dumb idea?

I stink at using stones and well haven’t put the time in to learn if I’m honest.
I have bought a diamond steel, a Sharpmaker as well as a leather strop.
I am getting excellent results with my set up now.

For my better knives I use my Wicked Edge. When I’m sharpening kitchen knives or tools like chisels and axes I use my Work Sharp KOE. I also use the KOE to maintain my knives. The extra fine belt with green compound is great for touch-ups. Even on premium steels like 20CV and M4. I also have a Work Sharp/Benchmade guides filed sharpener that I keep in my car for when I need it. Sometimes when I’m bored, I free-hand on cheap Arkansas stones.

kazachok guided angle sharpener from poland with tsprof low profile clamps for traditional small blades.

Back