1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

How do you cut

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jec88, Jun 14, 2019.

1. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    I was talking to an older guy I know and he showed me a nice Case Saddlehorn Trapper that he carry's all the time. He uses it for everything from hunting and fishing, gardening and general edc stuff. What I found interesting was that he keeps the skinner blade shaving sharp, only for game and fish. On the main blade Clip blade, he only uses the tip area for only opening up fish, or game or the initial cut. The rest of the clip blade is used for edc knife type of stuff, slicing tomatoes and opening stuff. He said that way, he basically has 3 blades in 2. I never really thought of it that way, I just cut stuff. Just curious if anyone else use the blade in sections like that?

Ace Rimmer, Pinemoon and t.willy like this.
  2. salty141

salty141 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2007
    I’ve had knives where I would sharpen the secondary blade to be much acute for certain things, and the main a more standard angle for general Edc chores.

willc likes this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Personally with multi blades knives I don't do anything special between sharpening each of the blades.
    I use the larger main blade for most things and the smaller secondary blade/s whenever I feel the need for more control.
    Now when a knife is pretty small overall I just use whichever I feel like at the time.

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    The only blades I've ever used in sections are modern knife blades with half serrated/half plain edge blades and I haven't used one of those in a long time.

Hickory n steel likes this.
  5. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Interesting idea, but in practice does it really change anything? Does he sharpen the tip differently?

6. jmarston

jmarston

Dec 6, 2010
    I don't with my folders I carry. However I have come to prefer longer knives (Bark River Mountain Man 5") for cutting meat. The curved portion near the top skins while the couple of inches nearest the handle stays sharp for severing tendons.

7. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I find it easier to just have three blades, which is why I like stockmans and cattle knives so much.

doubleman and Hairy Clipper like this.
  8. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a 4" scandi-ish grind up close to the handle on my 12" machete and the rest is convexed. Some of the old timers here may remember "Pict" who introduced this dual grind from his travels in South America. The 4" section is used for woodworking and the convex for chopping. This and a good pocketknife are my woods wandering duo. I'll sometimes throw in a Silky saw.--KV

9. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    When I carried a stockman, I kept the clip point scary sharp, the sheepsfoot just sharp enough to cut cardboard and such, and the spey blade was used for rough utility stuff and not so sharp.

And on occasion I did skin deer with the clip point. Only because it was the only knife I had on me.

10. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    sorry mistaken thread. :(

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Like you, I just "cut stuff."

mrknife and Will Power like this.