How do you feel about Emerson knives?

I’m very happy with my fairly new Commander with the Thunderstorm finish. I have a bunch of fancier stuff but I agree with Officer's Match Officer's Match , they’re some of my favorite knives to really use.

Thanks for the replies so far, I am on sorta the same page as most about the knife, the few I had when they first came out were not all that good as hyped to be , but they can make a nice knife to have around just wish they were less expensive for what ya get IMHO ~ As of now I'll keep my eye open for that elusive deal, being a lefty makes that just a little bit all the harder 🤘

I only own 1 Emerson -- a Combat Karambit -- but I do own a few Spydercos w/the patented Emerson wave on them.

I used to be an Emerson fan, but not so much these days.

After owning many (still have 6) and carrying them extensively, I finally realized they don’t live up to the hype.

Also, I find their lock bars are weak. Of all the models I own, I get lock bar flex on every one.

I would much rather have Hinderers and Microtech these days.

Guy lives near me I think.

Love his wave feature. Would not pay for his knives with the wrong grind and liner lock. Prefer a RAT or CS for the thing they're for. Love my waved Spydies and CS knives and do credit Ernie for that advancement.

Funny enough if I was to pick one to try, would probably be an A100 and not a waved model.

Love his wave feature. Would not pay for his knives with the wrong grind and liner lock. Prefer a RAT or CS for the thing they're for. Love my waved Spydies and CS knives and do credit Ernie for that advancement.

Funny enough if I was to pick one to try, would probably be an A100 and not a waved model.
Agree 100%

I like the look of some of their blades. But they seem pricey for 154CM and G10. I feel like much better deals can be had with Spyderco and ZT.

So why the high price? Are they made with meticulous fit and finish? Silky smooth opening?

I’m just curious what the consensus is.
Well I REALLY DON'T have ANYTHING GOOD to say about them. Wel l if you are here, then you are just like ALL the rest of us & you LOVE knives! So for me , my addiction started probably when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. OK you have to understand that I am 71 yrs old, as we speak.SO way back when, we ALL had little pocket knives. Your Dad or Grandpa probably gave one to you especially if you lived on a farm or out in the country. Anyway by the time you were a teenager you really had the disease. Always wanted something bigger, nastier different, new. Well one of the knives I ALWAYS LOVED was A SWISS ARMY knife. NOT a CHEAP one, but the BEST A SWISS CHAMP! This knife has been stolen from me twice. ONCE after many years, the tweezers broke. So I wrote to the company, I didn't have a receipt or bill, I had bought the knife years before, & they sent me probably a dozen sets of tweezers for FREE. I was EXTATIC I still have them all. I wouldn't have cared if they wanted a few bucks to replace them but they didn't. So years go by & I get a big hardon for Emerson, cuz he's all about the US military & I think that he is making some of the best knives in the world so I go for what I think is the best he has ,so I buy A Super Commander or whatever its called. So I have the knife for probably less than a year. I don't even use it on a daily basis & one of the screws falls out of the pocket clip. So I mail them back & they want $8 For 4 screws. I PAID OVER $165 for this POS & now they want $8 for 4 screws. SWISS ARMY sent me at least a dozen tweezers for 0$, but you want $2 A screw. OH IT GETS WORSE! SO I am playing with my knives as we all do,& all of a sudden as I PUSH DOWN on the blade of my Emerson Commander the blade folds down on my fingers! I should have called my lawyer1

Well I REALLY DON'T have ANYTHING GOOD to say about them. Wel l if you are here, then you are just like ALL the rest of us & you LOVE knives! So for me , my addiction started probably when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. OK you have to understand that I am 71 yrs old, as we speak.SO way back when, we ALL had little pocket knives. Your Dad or Grandpa probably gave one to you especially if you lived on a farm or out in the country. Anyway by the time you were a teenager you really had the disease. Always wanted something bigger, nastier different, new. Well one of the knives I ALWAYS LOVED was A SWISS ARMY knife. NOT a CHEAP one, but the BEST A SWISS CHAMP! This knife has been stolen from me twice. ONCE after many years, the tweezers broke. So I wrote to the company, I didn't have a receipt or bill, I had bought the knife years before, & they sent me probably a dozen sets of tweezers for FREE. I was EXTATIC I still have them all. I wouldn't have cared if they wanted a few bucks to replace them but they didn't. So years go by & I get a big hardon for Emerson, cuz he's all about the US military & I think that he is making some of the best knives in the world so I go for what I think is the best he has ,so I buy A Super Commander or whatever its called. So I have the knife for probably less than a year. I don't even use it on a daily basis & one of the screws falls out of the pocket clip. So I mail them back & they want $8 For 4 screws. I PAID OVER $165 for this POS & now they want $8 for 4 screws. SWISS ARMY sent me at least a dozen tweezers for 0$, but you want $2 A screw. OH IT GETS WORSE! SO I am playing with my knives as we all do,& all of a sudden as I PUSH DOWN on the blade of my Emerson Commander the blade folds down on my fingers! I should have called my lawyer1
I’ll probably never read all that.

I’ve heard similar opinions from others about Emerson. Some people like them and that’s good for them. I ended up trying out a CQC7 and it was average at best. The action seemed gritty. I still feel they’re way overpriced. I got rid of mine and never looked back.

You mentioned SAK’s. That was my first knife when I was 11 back in 1985. That’s what hooked me. I adored that thing. To this day , I still have a fondness for SAK’s. I currently have two I carry either on me or in the truck along with a larger folder. I think the company back then was Wenger. Now I have Victorinox.

I have a large Commander. I also HATE that wave thing. No wave gizmo on my knife. Unfortunately when I grab the knife & hold it very tightly it seems that the linerlock manages to let go, unlock. Very very bad. So now it just sits in a drawer. One of the screws fell out of the pocket clip & it cost me $8 to get 4 more! OUTRAGEOUS! I thought they would just send me a couple for FREE! The tweezers on my Swiss Army Knife broke & they sent me about a dozen new ones for free. NOW THAT"S SERVICE! NO MORE Emerson's for me!

I've owned/own 9 of them over the past 20 years and only one lived up to the price point in terms of fit and finish. That being said, I bought them all for exceptional deals, at prices that made them well worth it to me. At $110, a CQC7 hits the mark much easier than at $225. Emerson designs are fantastic and their reputation for toughness is well earned. They're not the most efficient cutters, but they're not meant to be. The fit/finish will leave something to be desired, relative to other knives at or even below the price point. But the knives are unquestioningly solid, at least in my use. Don't expect pretty though, you'll be disappointed. Though theur grinds on the blade are akways spot on.The designs and the name, that's what drives the price with Emerson knives.

I used to be an Emerson fan, but not so much these days.

After owning many (still have 6) and carrying them extensively, I finally realized they don’t live up to the hype.

Also, I find their lock bars are weak. Of all the models I own, I get lock bar flex on every one.

I would much rather have Hinderers and Microtech these days.
Isn't it fair to say that comparing Emerson to the other two a comparison of knives with different price points? Respectfully

I feel pretty good about Emerson knives. It hard to knock it in my mind and practice. It fits a role as the fastest deploying knife. It’s king at that and that counts for a lot as to how I feel about it. My Emerson of choice is a CQC 12 Vines and Roses. I feel pretty good about it.

Love my Emersons. Best ergonomics in the business. Best blade designs in the business. the wave feature is excellent. Tough as hell and easy to maintain.

The cost of things aren’t only about materials and fit n finish. I get they’re not for everyone but I love them. What seperates them from others for me are they’re designed to be weapons and you can feel it when holding one. It’s not a fancy cardboard cutter or fidget toy.

And to clarify I’ll never use a knife as a weapon but his designs are just mean n aggressive and I like it.

Back