How Do You Open YOUR Axis-Lock?

Do you use the thumb-studs on the blade, or do you actually pull the Axis-Lock down half way and give the knife a gentle, Spyderco-ish "FLICK"? I have been using the latter method for the last few days, and it has been so easy, I think I will just stay with it: I never even have to touch the blade.

------------------

Robert Joseph Ansbro

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.
-Stanley Kubrick, 1928-1999

Ain`t that cool? You can also close it by pulling the lock back and doing the reverse motion.Never have to touch the blade.
I find it to be very entertaining.I have tried it on a rekat carnivoir, but the action isn`t free enough.

David

AKTI#A000150

Ditto, ditto and double ditto. I occasionally use the thumb stud, but I do a lot of "it's-all-in-the-wrist" snapping and the "pull-back-the-lock-and-flick.

I got the Mel Pardue 720S and it is a slick little knife with a capital "slick."

That's how I open it all right! And to be cool, sometimes I hold it up-side-down in my hand so when I flick it open with syntrifugal force, it is in the saber grip position.

I do not, however, close it in the afformentioned way. Because the blade hits the handle spacer. I realize Benchmade would fix this problem for me, but it is not neccesary, and I'd rather not be without my axis for any period of time.

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

That's how I open it all right! And to be cool, sometimes I hold it up-side-down in my hand so when I flick it open with syntrifugal force, it is in the saber grip position.

I do not, however, close it in the afformentioned way. Because the blade hits the handle spacer. I realize Benchmade would fix this problem for me, but it is not neccesary, and I'd rather not be without my axis for any period of time.

------------------
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

------------------
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

Hey, what a great way to open this knife. Sticks just before it closes though.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?

I do the same thing on the axis(pulling down part way on the release), and when closing, I don't flick it as hard, and it stops about an inch before going into the handle, and closes by itself the rest of the way. I did send my axis in and got the spacer replaced to make sure if I mis-judge in closing, it won't hit on the stop-pin.
On my Rekat Carnivour, I loosened up the pivot a little, and the spacer above the stop- pin,just enough that the blade has no wobble, and used a little loc-tite on the threads of the screws before putting them back in one at a time so they would not loosen up more, and can flick it open and shut as fast as the axis(using the same manner on the release). Works slick!!(pun intended)
If you use loc-tite, use very little so as to not let any run on any part of the blade or mechanism, so it functions properly.
Larry

Something fun with the REKAT Carnivour:

Curl first finger, place fingernail on the top of the slide release, press and hold it down. Flick blade open with thumb on stud.

I can open either the 705 or 710 using a snap of the wrist and then a flick (mentioned in the Spyderco forum). No pushing of the thumbstuds or pulling of the axis studs (even partway) is necessary.

I wouldn't advise doing this in public tho.

Yes, I discovered that an Axis Lock opens very smoothly by pulling back on the button and moving it just so . . . .

Now, repeat after me:

I will never open my Axis Lock that way in a public place, or in the presence of any authority figures, lest it be confused with an evil gravity knife.

wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Oops, that's right. Also gotta watch out for the sheeple stampede
smile.gif

The thumbstuds are easier on the arm anyway.

After giving all of the mating surfaces of the lock on myAxis a neato full polish, mine is almost too smooth. I generally just give a nudge to the thumbstud and it opens with authority. I have used the lock release method, but I have to work on my timing a little better, or tighten up the pivot because sometimes it bounces off the stop pin and closes partially. Right now it is smooth enough that it will open with only the force of gravity when I release the lock. The Axis is truly a neato action, and even though it might not be the strongest, its ease of use and simplicity of function make for an excellent all around knife. Now if only they would come out with something a little more beefy.

Since BM replaced Larry's knife I can buy from them again..
smile.gif

YeK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

A question on speed-openings:
Will such openings loosen the stop pin, or is the Axis built differently? I've examined an Axis, but didn't really examine the stop pin.
Just curious.
Jim

Larry,
Good advice on the Carnivoir,I`ll give it a try.
James,
I think rapid opening doesn`t do too much harm if not endlessly repeated.Fortunately for me,my attention span isn`t that long!
David

AKTI# A000150

There must be some sort of line that is drawn when fast drawing becomes dangerously fast drawing. Since it takes a little while to get used to opening a new knife, I spent a little time with my 710sbt and have come up with the optimum level of power on the part of my wrist to get the blade open just enough, no more and no less. The opening feels exactly like it would if I was literally guiding the blade along with the thumb stud, only MUCH faster. If the knife smacks against the stop pin and slams back down, you are doing it too hard. Since the stop piece on the handle is plastic, I am not as worried about the blade smacking into it, but I still think it's an issue of wearing out a knife and its mechanism before its time. I have never had an Axis-Lock before, I don't know how long it is going to last. Unlike most knives, if you open the 710 too fast you KNOW IT. Oh hell yes you know it, the entire knife vibrates, its a large piece of steel hitting the stop pin, you can can tell if you need to modify opening power applied from your hand.

------------------

Robert Joseph Ansbro

Wait a second...you guys are sliding down the locking bar before you flick the knife open? Now THAT is dangerouse
frown.gif

Simply flick your wrist, and the blade will pop out and lock with authority, without endangering the well-being of your fingers.

If you are not strong enough
wink.gif
, just start the thumb stud out about 1/16-1/4", and it will be reeeeeaaally smoooth.

------------------
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

The actual Axis-Lock moves a great deal in opening the knife, can you possibly elude to particular dangers inherent in pulling the lock down half way, flicking the blade open gently, then immediately releasing your thumbs of the lock so the rest is as it would be anyway? I can not seem to see any real dangers in this, all it does is encourage opening without the thumb stud. I secure both my thumb and index finger on the the Axis-Lock left and right side (respectively) and it seems to do the trick without causing any stability or grip problems. The method I am talking about actually requires a very small amount of force, thus making it (save whatever possible danger you might know about) SAFER then most any other, more aggressive method... Right?;-)

------------------

Robert Joseph Ansbro

Flicking the Axis open is fun, and not really dangerous, as long as you don't use too much force. You know how much is too much. If anyone has ever run for cover when you start to flick it open, it's too much force.
Mr. Mattis is right though, if you do it in front of a cop, expect to have a long conversation, at least. For some reason, people have developed thid phobia of gravity knives- what the hell is a gravity knife to be afraid of? I can open my Axis faster than an Auto, and you are afrai.....wait, really officer, I swear that I used the thumb stud on that one! Not the silver bracelets again!
wink.gif

Joe

Back