How do you split a belt into smaller widths?

For a specific finishing task, I think I need a 1/2" wide belt. I would like to split a 2 x 72 into several smaller widths. Any quick methods.

Thank you,
Rob

Rob, I've split em as small as 1/4" wide. Ya just have to be careful. Take a sharp knife and with the belt on the grinder with some tension to it, push the knife into the belt at the joint, you want to cut the joint. Then just carefully turn the wheel with one hand and tear the belt with the other.

Depends on the kind of belts your using.. I usually use a wood chisel, which I place on the seam lengthwise, so the seam get's cut completely ( this is best done on the back of the belt, as the cloth structure is a good indication of how to hold the chisel), the tear the belt along the line, which is pretty easy with AO or Ziricon belts.

Rob, a Sharkey Tipps belt splitter, ph#1-618-847-3901. Sharkey is a great guy, he loves knives, machinery, etc.
This splitter is also sold by some knifemaker supply houses. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the most helpful tips. It works great, I simply cut the seam and tore the belt apart....the key is to cut the seam first with a razor...then tear the belt apart. My first attempt a few months ago was to try to CUT the belt from the back side with the grinder running slowly. My thinking was that this would give me the most uniform width. This worked fine except the belt cuts before the seam....then you have a flapping mess whirling around that is hanging together by the seam. Not to mention that my hand was just inside the belt before it split and started flapping. Needless to say, my old method never generated a usable belt.

Thank you again,
Rob

didnt read all the posts....but I just put it on a piece of wood and cut the lap with a razor knife. Iusually split them in thirds for what I use them for......then tear it the rest of the way. Only do this with the finer grits......mostly only blue 400 belts.

What are needing the thinner widths for? What applications require a 1/2 wide belt? I can think of some but I want to hear what all others have to say.....

Put whatever belt you want to split on your grinder.
turn it on as fast as it will go.
find a screw driver,and while the belt is in motion,stab at it!
;)

(please do not try this at home,as it will likely only cause severe pain,and breaking your grinder)

Originally posted by MAURICE
Put whatever belt you want to split on your grinder.
turn it on as fast as it will go.
find a screw driver,and while the belt is in motion,stab at it!
;)

(please do not try this at home,as it will likely only cause severe pain,and breaking your grinder)

OK, I'll do it over at my buddies house!

C Wilkins

All I ever do is grab a worn belt, decide about how wide I want it, and tear it starting at the joint.
I use the pieces for tight inside radius spots on knives, especially the guard/handle juncture of hunters.
Keep all your finer grit belts once you've worn them out on the grinder (220 and up). You never need to purchase shop rolls again. You can tear the old belts into strips and use them for hand sanding operations.

Keep all your finer grit belts once you've worn them out on the grinder

Great idea Ed.....but after a few years of saving them up...
How do you get into your shop??????????? :p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :p

Every now and then the garbage man has a heyday at the end of my driveway. They've found out what I do, and there have been days that I've watched them take a 1/2 hour to go through my garbage before they put it in the truck!! :)

Back