How does stag respond to thread tapping?

t1mpani

Platinum Member
I’m putting an engraved brass name plate into the stag handle of a knife for a friend of mine—already inletted, good fit, etc. Was planning on predrilling slightly undersized holes and driving little brass nails in (in addition to epoxy) but got to thinking—would little screws be better? I know brass screws wouldn’t be near hard enough to cut into the stag, but thought about tapping the stag for like 4-40 or something, and doing little brass machine screws, grinding the little tapered heads flat to the plate after it’s all in. Does stag take threads worth anything, or will this just become an exercise in removing a broken tap?

Thanks in advance
Warren

I would think that it wouldn't work so well... It might work well enough to let the epoxy set, but I doubt it work have any structural strength.

Yeah, perhaps too brittle—I suppose I could knurl the nails to try and increase friction resistance to coming out. That plus the epoxy will probably be plenty.

Take a small piece of stag horn, drill a hole, then screw the brass "sheet metal" type screw in. I think you'll be surprised how well the brass will cut threads and hold. For the final work, after the threads are cut, put a dab of epoxy inside the hole to provide a bit of extra holding power for the screws. The drilled hole will need to be sized for screws you're using. You can also use a scrap of wood for determining hole size.

A late thanks for your additional replies! BF doesn’t reliably inform me of new posts anymore even if I’m subscribed. I’ll certainly try that.

Back