How does this slip through?

TexMac

Gold Member
So last week I decided to purchase a Proper. I finally decided on the 319DLC-1801 so I could possibly swap to CF scales in the future. I ordered the knife from a reputable premium plus dealer (obviously as this was an exclusive). Got the knife in the mail yesterday and opened it up last night. I looked it over a little then this morning I tossed it in my pocket. I carried it all day nd just used it a time or two to open some packages. I pulled it out to show it off to a coworker and noticed one of the handle screws looked different. It’s like the coating either rubbed off or was never there. I though to myself how did this get through the QC inspection. Has anyone ever experienced this? I contacted BM and was told the would try to locate some screws and get them sent out. I hope they do cause this was disappointing for sure.
upload_2019-3-26_20-49-49.jpeg

Send me a pic of the box label. We will try to tack this down. Meanwhile you can call customer service and get this fixed. Sorry the see this...

Production knives are bound to have some manufacturing or assembly errors. This is not at all unique to Benchmade. It happens. The dealer is not going to inspect every one of the hundreds of knives they sell every month either. Contact the dealer or Benchmade and they will make it right for sure.

I’ll admit it did take some time to notice this and because of that I couldn’t definitively say that it wasn’t black when it went in my pocket for the first time. I opened the box late one evening and didn’t do a good inspection but I also had no intention of leaving the blue scales on the knife. I only bought this version to swap to carbon fiber scales. Only reason I was upset about this was because Benchmade customer service stated that replacement black hardware may not be available as this was a limited edition. They told be either way I would receive an email notifying me if they did or did not have the hardware. I still haven’t received this email but I’m still hopeful and will keep everyone updated. An additional note I bought by first Benchmade the summer after I graduated from high school in ‘95 i have continued to buy Benchmade products for a reason, they have always been good to me. One bad handle screw won’t change my opinion of Benchmade.

I'd sell it on EBay as one of one custom. Ask a hundred bucks more than you paid. Just like some of those characters do on the bay...

I can’t speak for every brand as I haven’t seen every brand at every price point.
I can say that spot checking every once in a while is poor “QC” inspection. That goes for any company, not just Benchmade. But it seems to be the way it is nowadays. Nothing personal against BM.

I can’t speak for every brand as I haven’t seen every brand at every price point.
I can say that spot checking every once in a while is poor “QC” inspection. That goes for any company, not just Benchmade. But it seems to be the way it is nowadays. Nothing personal against BM.

It’s not poor QC, it’s called sampling and it’s actually more effective than 100% inspection when done correctly on controlled processes. There is a ton of information out there on the subject, documented standards, etc.

It sucks when defects slip through, but in manufacturing it’s something that happens. Any process is going to have errors. Process improvements minimize those errors. Unfortunately, the error rates go up when humans are involved. They go up more when humans are doing repetitive tasks.

Reminds me of a 535GRY that I got which has a lockbar that was totally devoid of coating on one side and about half coated on the other, there were other issues as well but that was the most visually glaring.

spot qc checks are a production norm these days.

I would think the person that dose final assembly would be expected to ensure its correct,along with (spot checks)

I would think the person that dose final assembly would be expected to ensure its correct,along with (spot checks)

I’m sure that is the expectation, but humans are prone to human error. Especially doing repetitive tasks like assembling the same knife dozens of times.

What I find odd is how the incorrect colored part even ended up in the parts kit for this batch of knives.

generally, that's the case but find me someone whos perfect, that never misses anything, never has an off day its production and when you see hundreds of the same thing all the time things happen.

Congrats on the nice looking knife - that looks like a great working knife, and it certainly has good looks.

I am sure that the company will take care of the mis-matched hardware, if that was not intentional.

I would not really have been concerned about a different finish on the hardware, but I do understand if that is supposed to be consistent.

How does that knife cut? It looks like it has the nice curve of the spine that I have found makes for a great cutting tool.

best

mqqn

Back