How effective is snake shot?

I have had very good results with .38 snakeshot in my 4" guns. It has killed some pretty big cottonmouths & copperheads here in Georgia !!!

Rattlesnakes live almost entirely on rodents. Rodents are the primary carrier of hantavirus, which is a hell of a lot more dangerous than any rattlesnake bite. Once you've located a rattlesnake, it's clearly no danger to you anymore, and killing it only increases the base level of hantavirus in your area.

Try learning something about the snakes in your area rather than embracing fear and ignorance and you'll not only be a lot safer, you'll find that what was once frightening is actually rather fascinating.

We always called it "Rat Shot"..You can guess why..It works great on snakes,rats and other small stuff like that..Ive used it all from >22 to .44 mag rat shot..Wont cycle in any automatic Ive ever tried..Revolver or manual action rifle only..

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. I bought some 9mm and .38 special CCI snake shot, waiting for it to come in. I'm curious to see if the 9mm cycles through my Ruger SR9c. If it doesn't, I can use the .38 in my wheel gun with confidence.

August West has obviously never had to deal with an insane cardinal. I've had cardinals here always but only recently had one that was insane .I was VERY patient and put up with it for 6 months. I've heard from others who had a crazy one also.

Being a dyed in the wool snake hater I keep snakes loads in .22 .40 S&W and in .38/.357, for bigguns there is always the 9 round 12 ga pump, double ought shot slows em down nicely

August West has obviously never had to deal with an insane cardinal. I've had cardinals here always but only recently had one that was insane .I was VERY patient and put up with it for 6 months. I've heard from others who had a crazy one also.

You are 100% right I have never dealt with that, or even heard of it to be honest. What do they do when they are insane? Chris

Last edited:
Sit on the mirror pecking at the glass while pooping on the back of the mirror .Everytime I came home I had to cover the mirrors with plastic bags .If I forgot he was there early next morning . One I covered the mirrors he did the same with the side windows. Sat in the forsythia bush by the back door and flew at the door flaring out just before hitting the glass and landing on the mulliens.One day I wondered how often he did it - twenty times in a row !!! Six months of that was more than enough !! So he was put down. The female soon found another mate ,a well mannered one .

HAHAHA, I take back what I said, if I ever get one of those he will meet his maker as well, sounds like he had a serious self esteem problem. LOL Chris

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. I bought some 9mm and .38 special CCI snake shot, waiting for it to come in. I'm curious to see if the 9mm cycles through my Ruger SR9c. If it doesn't, I can use the .38 in my wheel gun with confidence.

The 9mm stuff worked and cycled (slowly) in my well used S&W model 639.

I used it to ge rid of a few large rattlers two cotton mouths and one coral snake that measures 42 inches. When I responded to a Snake call on duty , my policy was if it could kill you I was shooting it.

South Florida had some interesting snakes, I caught a 12 foot reticulated python that scared the crap out of me It was making a friggin growling noise I was holding it's head so hard till my partner unwrapped it.

When did wopping them with a stick go out of fashion?!

It's best to stun them or pin them with a stick, then cut the head off with your knife before skinning and cooking. This is a picture of the last rattlesnake I preformed this on.

download2e.jpg

Don't know if this helps at all...I remember many years ago, while horseback riding, my dad killed a few snakes while up on the horse using the noose on his rope. Anywho, the couple that I've managed to get rid of, I've used a very rigid hiking stick...a good whack will immobilize it's forward progress. Stab the head through...cut off the head, while pinning it down, and bury it. Just my experience with snakes. If you can dispatch it without getting close to getting bit, go for it in your own way.

Back