How high do you hand sand your bevels compared to your flats?

What grit do you go up to on bevels vs. flats? If you hand sand your bevels at all...

Finally finishing one of the dozen knives I've forged and I was wondering what others do.

Almost always the same for the flats and the bevels. If I leave a belt finish on the bevels which is not very often, I’ll belt finish the flats to around 600 grit with a gator or norax belt.
I prefer a 600-800 grit satin on both though.
I’d say experiment and do what you like!

I like to have different finishes on the bevel and flats/spine/etc

Higher bevels, lover bevels, shiny, satin, just play around.
I'm working on one now with 2500 flats and 1500 bevels

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feed back, I've set my current knife to the side, it's my first I finished and I messed up the order of operation and made it near impossible to get a nice finish near the handle. Luckily I have about a dozen to finish.

So, here's a tip Bruce Bingenheimer gave me when I first met him. He said to hand finish to 400 grit and then place a green Scotch-Brite pad on the edge of the bench and do straight pulls of the blade across the pad with firm pressure, ricasso straight through to tip. It is a fantastic technique for getting a clean finish and you can modify it to different finish levels; I routinely go to 800 grit and do pulls on a grey (very fine) pad.

Bob

Normally the same but if I go to nearly scratchless on the blade, or do a hamon, I like the flats to have a line grain finish so normally 800 grit.

Back