How I clean my Sebenza (with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GREAT JOB :D I can never put things back together without problems or questions or wondering if I did it right. Thanks...

I went one step further and lightly polished my washers with 600 wet/dry paper..NOT hard ! just enough to get that little bit of black off. It seems to have made a difference :rolleyes: weell...to me it did!! ;)

Dave

Just got my first Sebbie (Ebony Wood with Gold inlay) and just tried out the tutorial. It went smooth as silk. Took her apart, cleaned it up a bit and placed just a dab or MD Labs XF-7 in all the right places. Just one question though. Is the flick in the end just to get the lock bar to set in the right spot? I lubed the place on the back of the blade where the lock bar rests but wiped it all off because I don't want the lock bar to slip. Other than that, great work and awesome video. Thanks.

Great Guide But I have a important question which I didn`t see asked anywhere on this thread :confused: :confused: Why is there a Month/Day/Date scribed on your blade :confused: I don`t think I could bring myself to do that to any of my knives regardless of which one it was ;)

Polomax said:
Great Guide But I have a important question which I didn`t see asked anywhere on this thread :confused: :confused: Why is there a Month/Day/Date scribed on your blade :confused: I don`t think I could bring myself to do that to any of my knives regardless of which one it was ;)

Hi Polomax, that date & signature was 'scribbled' by Chris Reeve himself ;) since this Sebenza is a limited run (1 of 130) of flat ground blades...
Thanks,
Ted

Has anyone done a "How I clean my Mnandi" thread? I have a Sebenza, but no Mnandi yet, ;) and I'd love to see someone do a thread like this one for a Mnandi.

ljg

AWESOME nothing like getting a knife personalized by the maker ;)
I thought there was a reason but couldn`t figure out why, Never
even thought of that.. ya figure it would have been etched or even
engraved instead of scribbled on still a nice piece since he did it
anyway.. :thumbup:

Yesterday I received my first Sebenza ever......,a large regular one and,of course,I used this thread and the movie made by Danish Viking to clean and assemble my "Sebbie".

Big thanks to my fellow "cheesehead" Ted Voorde and "the Danish Viking" Thomas Larsen for going through the effort of making it all possible.

Now back to enjoying my Sebenza...

Raoul...

congrats raoul!

welcome to sebenzaship!:thumbup:

ljg said:
Has anyone done a "How I clean my Mnandi" thread? I have a Sebenza, but no Mnandi yet, ;) and I'd love to see someone do a thread like this one for a Mnandi.

ljg

Well...,I have a Mnandi since yesterday,and the first thing I had to do was take it apart!!!(You people know what I mean,right?)

Ofcourse,overall there were no problems,still this knife is a bit different to assemble.

So,if someone would make a "how to-"-post with pictures or video,that would be wicked!!!

thanks,
Raoul...

Raoul, if you send me your Mnandi, I would be happy to shoot pictures of the procedure! :D

I have a quick question, I own a large micarta seb and I was curious as to how much force is normal when opening the knife?

It seems kinda tight to me - with a strong flick (I know you should not do this), should it open right up?

Update - I took my knife apart and the copper washer is really dark, does not look shiny at all!

Diabolus, the washers are phosphor bronze and what's on it is probably a harmless patina. But, dried lube and perhaps some other sticky materials can make the action stiff. I suggest you take it apart, and then clean the washers with just a tiny amount of "Flitz". That will easily clean the washers to a beautifill shine, and it will not harm them. Don't use any aggresive polishing compound or a Dremel device. Assemble and lube as instructed, and it should be smooth. If you unlock the blade and press the lock bar outwards just so that it doesn't touch the blade anymore, the blade should pivot freely and very smoothly. If that's the case, it's assembled correctly.

All,

Given that this thread has been deemed a key reference on CRK products, it has been made a sticky and is normally locked. If you would like to add reference material to it, simply PM me and I’ll temporarily unlock it for that purpose. If you have general questions/comments regarding this sticky’s content, please start a general thread on the subject.

Best regards,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back