How I sharpen a convex

Yo, everybody.
I know everyone has a little different way they like to sharpen their convexs so I thought I'd post up the vids I did on how I do it.

[youtube]Rt44uDP82CE[/youtube]

[youtube]2j0wNu4BpYg[/youtube]

[youtube]qKxMFozjvw8[/youtube]
Hope you like 'em.
Iz

Last edited:
Rocky,
The first one I use in the vid is the Model 16 Dogwood and the second one is a Model 8 Current River.:thumbup:
Thanks for looking, brother.
Iz

Great video. I just sharpened my tomahawk using this method tonight. Works very well.

Iz-

I really liked these videos. Thanks for posting. I was happy to see that my particular variations on this pretty simple procedure were close to yours, confirming that I wasn't doing my convex sharpening completely wrong. I get good results, but they could be better and I saw some things you did that I will try incorporate for, hopefully, improved results.

Also, I got a kick out of the fact that you use the Campmor Catalog to test sharpness. I thought I was the only one. You can't slice those pages without a real sharp edge!:thumbup:

Beanbag

You bet, brother. I'm glad to be of some help.
Has campmor quit printing the paper catalog? I ordered a tent from them a couple months ago and I'd hoped they'd send me a new catalog.
They last longer than body hair for testing.:D
Yeah, you're right, if you can curl off slices of the campmor you've got a sharp knife.
Thanks, man.
Iz

One thing that will help is to color the edge with a sharpie. Check after a couple of passes. Is the marker getting worn off right at the edge? If not, ajust.

What Iz says about light pressure is KEY!!! Using too much pressure will cause you a LOT of work to fix.

I tried to sharpen my convex edge for the first time a few days ago. I put a mousepad on a 2x4, and used 600, 1000, 2000 grit sandpaper.

About how many passes you you have to do on each grit to get a very sharp edge? For each grit I did about 30 passes each side, alternating every 5 or so. The edge is sharper, but not as sharp as it should be.

Any help is appreciated!

6ft,
I really don't count the passes honestly. I usually gauge it by feel, that doesn't help you much I know. One thing to do is to make sure you look down the edge to see if there are any shiny spots. Those will be the areas you need to work on. Shiny = flat and unsharp.
The other thing you can try is using a marker to mark the lower part of the bevel down to the edge. That way you can tell if you're hitting the right spots or not.
If that doesn't work then try removing the mouse pad and using just the sandpaper. Sometimes people are pushing to hard and don't realize it thereby dulling the edge instead of sharpening it. Removing the mouse pad will stop that.

Great videos. How would one attempt to sharpen a very large convex....like a machete or large chopper?

Komondor,
I sharpen them the same way, I just take them in smaller sections when I sharpen. I'll try to do a video on it , axes and kuhkris sometime soon, I get a lot of questions on those.
Thanks, my friend.

Of all the videos I've watched on sharpening a convex edge, the ones Iz posted have helped me achieve the best results. To touch up a good edge, it won't take long on a pad and paper followed by a light stropping or just a stropping alone. I go in reps of 10 both ways and check as I go along. The lightest downward pressure possible and the number one thing is sharpen when your relaxed and have time.

I use a kitchen table, foam backed place mat instead of a mouse pad. It is slightly firmer than most mouse pads and I've found I get better results. My sharpest edges come when I drag the blade across the paper with barely any downward pressure. I used to use a marker to see how I'm doing but after a while you kind of get a feel for things without the sharpie.

I wouldn't base your results on your edge being "Shaving Sharp" as so many refer to. A paper cut test shows your true results and guides you to parts of the edge that need further attention and you won't cut yourself. Some of the sharpest knives I've ever had would not cut much hair on my arm but they were like lasers on seasoned wood. Shave with a razor, bum around the woods with a knife. (I'm Irish so I need all the hair I can grow)

Back