How important is availability to you?

Simple question.

You can't decide between 2 knives, your heart is more after one of them, but the other one is readily available while that one isn't. What to do?
I had such dilemma, and convenience plays big factor to me. Since Cold Steel distributor is near me, I'll always check them out first.

So, how many of you will rather buy a knife in a store than bother with online ordering, waiting, deliveries? Am I the only one?

It really depends on the knife for me. There are certain knives I know will be GTG and right from the factory. Others I really want to check out in store before paying. But for me if it was at all close in desirability, I would get the one I could have sooner...........Just my take.

Simple question.

You can't decide between 2 knives, your heart is more after one of them, but the other one is readily available while that one isn't. What to do?
I had such dilemma, and convenience plays big factor to me. Since Cold Steel distributor is near me, I'll always check them out first.

So, how many of you will rather buy a knife in a store than bother with online ordering, waiting, deliveries? Am I the only one?
I always buy what I want not what near store have , even if I need to order that from Antarctica .................

It's fairly important because if something is not available you can't get it.

But in the big picture if there is a particular blade I want that is coming soon I will wait for it instead of looking for immediate but temporary satisfaction.

Patience is a virtue along with the ability act quickly and decisively. You won't be getting any new Northwoods models from KSF if you stop to consider the finer points.

You won't be getting any new Northwoods models from KSF if you stop to consider the finer points.

You wont be getting any old ones either.

kRvavNj.jpg

zFwX1Wv.jpg

a8NVeX5.jpg

If the choice is order online for a knife I really want vs buy in a local store a knife I happen to like. My choice would likely be order the knife online but there are always so many factors that can be weighed into such a decision. What is the probability of finding Knife A later vs finding Knife B later? What is the cost of A and cost of B? Which has more potential resale value? These are just some examples of things that may matter to some people.

If your talking instantaneous gratification, then It matters little to me. I have given up on custom orders that take years to fill- only do to my desires always seem to be changing and by the time they are ready, I no longer want it. I have plenty of knives and am not just looking to pick up a knife. I am very specific ( exact model and configuration)that I want and won't buy anything if I can't get it the way I want it.

It is a safe behaviour to have more patience than you have money ;)

mid i can afford an impulsive buy, I do it with pleasure.
If I have to make a choice, I have no problem to be patient to get what I want

I've been dealing with a husband and wife team. They search out the knife if they do not personally carry it. They usually shave off a few bucks due to our association. I have never had a knife damaged in transit, but their guaranty covers that issue.

if i can order it and have it in a reasonable amount of time - sure.
there isn't too much close by for me to get my hands on anyways.

if i have to wait months or longer, its not likely ever going to happen short of a custom order

Rather wait a bit for what I want than immediately be disappointed that I didn't get what I really wanted.

I try to buy at brick & mortar knife stores and shows as a first choice. Last year online to store/show purchases were about 50/50. Trying to cut down but still be involved in my hobby. I generally attend two shows a year and just about always come home with new stuff. Bought a new Arno Bernard knife yesterday at a store.

With regard to the dilemma faced by the OP, if I was itching to buy I would buy what was available and decide if I really want the other. It really depends on price more than anything.

Last edited:
I am to the point where the stores are just a place to look at what you are considering buying. And from ordering online many times before, I know that normal shipping is 3 days to Ohio from anywhere in the states, after the time its shipped. A lot of sites ship for free too. Almost everything I can find cheaper online with all the online retailers. Many times quite a bit cheaper if you don't mind searching. So unless I need it now, it's purchased online. Probably the exact reason places like Sears, Kmart, and soon to be more are going out of business. With knives it is a little harder since there aren't many places locally who stock much at all. Thats where I have tried to keep an eye on blade lengths/widths, weights, and materials used, to help with decisions on what ++I have not seen or held in person. I am getting better at not being dissapointed when they arrive. And thanks to everyone on this forum for all the feedback on certain knives and brands. That helps a lot too. Very glad I signed up on here. The sickness has hit big time.

Bottom line.... wait for the knife if it is expensive. You probably own plenty of knives already.

I would rather get what I want (although I'm impatient). If I take the convenience route, I always end up wishing I that gotten the other one.

Back