How is the new Al Mar Quicksilver quality made in China?

Thanks for all the input. This is pretty much what I have been reading which is why I was hoping someone actually had the knife I am referring to so I can get a opinion on the quality of the Quicksilver. Opinions are mixed, but it sounds like it is not worth the money.

Quality is probably magnificent. But the real question is: do you really want anything made in China after all they caused? I sure don't. It is sad because the upcoming WE angst is really cool and I'd get it. Not at the expense of giving that lying regime a single cent of my money.
I agree completely but the reality is if you need prescription medication or a variety of other products, they come from China :-(

Quality is probably magnificent. But the real question is: do you really want anything made in China after all they caused? I sure don't. It is sad because the upcoming WE angst is really cool and I'd get it. Not at the expense of giving that lying regime a single cent of my money.
FWIW The regime does not own the company that makes the knife.
If you're against buying anything from China, best not buy a new car/pickup/van of any make since every auto brand has parts sourced from China.
You should also avoid buying a new computer, tablet or cellphone (including Apple) since they either have components from there or were made there.
Something like 98% of prescription drugs or the ingredients for them come from China.
The USA also imports a lot of food items, such as honey from China. (Most, if not all of this honey is mixed/blended into domestic honey, or just put in domestic bottles/jars, so you should avoid buying honey at the grocer's. Honey at a Farmer's Market or road side stand should be o.k.)

Off hand, I cannot think of a single manufactured product that does not at a minimum have components made in China.
Most domestic brands of clothing and footwear either source some of the fabric or leather from China, and/or have moved their production there.

Mainland China or not, the regime does not own all the farms, businesses, and manufacturing facilities.

As for them lying ... name just one government that doesn't, from the local to national level all governments lie.

Last edited:
Do you really want to buy a knife from someone that would rip off a widow? Regardless of where it's made.--KV

The USA also imports a lot of food items, such as honey from China. (Most, if not all of this honey is mixed/blended into domestic honey, or just put in domestic bottles/jars, so you should avoid buying honey at the grocer's. Honey at a Farmer's Market or road side stand should be o.k.)

Buy honey from local bee farms, or if you have them, the Amish. We usually get ours from the farms around the area, or the Amish market up the road in Tennessee. I never knew there was so much variety in honey until I saw their honey stand. Wildflower, orange blossom, etc etc. We are using some unfiltered honey from a farm right now, and it's interesting. I think I prefer filtered but, it's good and I'm not going to let it go to waste!

I think the new "Al Mar" knives will help their reputation as much as Taylor helped Schrade's reputation.

If you're against buying anything from China, best not buy a new car/pickup/van of any make since every auto brand has parts sourced from China.
You should also avoid buying a new computer, tablet or cellphone (including Apple) since they either have components from there or were made there.
Something like 98% of prescription drugs or the ingredients for them come from China.

Off hand, I cannot think of a single manufactured product that does not at a minimum have components made in China.
Most domestic brands of clothing and footwear either source some of the fabric or leather from China, and/or have moved their production there.

Mainland China or not, the regime does not own all the farms, businesses, and manufacturing facilities.

As for them lying ... name just one government that doesn't, from the local to national level all governments lie.

Do businesses in China not pay taxes and do those taxes not go to the communist regime? I understand what you are saying regarding technology and how most things produced locally have Chinese made components. Even where I work that is the case. Doesn't mean there aren't alternatives and doesn't mean I shouldn't do my best to find them. I'm already pushing at work to switch one of our raw materials from China to India where they have the same product at a better price. There are members of congress also currently drafting legislation to force key manufacturing away from China.

And as far as governments lying. They sure do. But when was the last time the lies of the US government or any government in the western world caused a major pandemic? What is worst, the regime started slandering the US saying that the US army planted the virus in Wuhan. So yeah, despite of all the difficulties that you metioned I will continue my personal crusade against buying Chinese products until the day they free themselves from that damned Communist regime. Thank you very much.

what about chinese knife companies like kizer who pay american knifemakers for their designs

Like I said: too bad for the WE Angst that's coming out soon. It is an absolute beauty. Maybe the knifemaker should have thought better before selling a design to a country with no respect for intellectual property. Next thing you know Sanrenmu or Ganzo will have a copy selling for $15 on gearbest and alibaba.

You can pretty much expect all of that to become "history" in 2020.
Every country in the world is reassessing it's relationship and reliance on China.

Do you really want to buy a knife from someone that would rip off a widow? Regardless of where it's made.--KV

Exactly- and it's not like he won against the lady, he just dragged his feet legally by using the courts until she died.

Good luck to Al Mar for offering folders in AUS 8 for $189 (eagle classic) and VG10 for $215 (Sere 2000). They were a great knife company. Unless it's an older Al Mar knife from Japan, they aren't seeing a dime of my $. YMMV. Spend your money however you want.

As for the legal issues with the widow, since I don't have anything nice to say, I won't say anything.

For about the same price, if you search, you can get a titanium ti lite as well. Much nicer and you can open it like a front flipper.Might not be a bearing flipper but its well made.

Seems to be a nice knife with quality materials.Titanium handles, ceramic bearings, a large 5" D2 blade and what seems like a lockbar/stop insert.

As for the situation with Chinese factories now,they're just recovering from this crisis and are beginning to ramp production up.Where before it was at a stand still and suppliers demanding ptoduct.
Atm now it is the opposite for the rest of the world.They are experiencing a significant halt of the economy and in turn canceling their orders.As nobody knows the extent and duration.

Last edited:
If you wait a bit the price may come down a little that would make it a better deal....

I saw some old posts on BF from people saying they liked some of the new Schrade Old Timer stuff. IMHO, one of the benefits of hanging around here for a while is that I won't buy any of it. But I will still take a hard look at the USA OT deals that often come up.

For the OP's sake, perhaps one of our broad minded members will buy a Quicksilver and get back to him.

Negative comments about the country of origin need to stop.
If you want to make such comments, buy a membership and post in the Political Forum.

Negative comments about the company, its management, or the knife itself are fair game.

M
Anyone get one of these?
Mine just arrived yesterday. It’s super light opens quick and the titanium handle feels great. It’s the sharpest folding knife I’ve purchased in a while. I own a lot of Kershaw, CRKT, and SOG folders. This one is twice the size of my middle sized. It’s big but sleek and honestly seems well made. I was going to get a TOPS dagger but this is much easier to carry and use everyday. Would make a good personal defense weapon. Price does seem a bit steep. I would think it’s the titanium handle.

Reactions: AF
Back