How is the steel on Estwing Hatchets and Axes?

Estwings axes are very tough. My 14" Sportsman's axe has taken a beating and shrugged it off like nothing. Their steel runs a little soft, but they don't chip out either. A little heavy for their size. Overall they perform quite well. The only thing I don't like is that the narrow handle is harder to hold and control when you need to choke up on it. A minor point imo.

I have a one piece Estwing drywall hammer that I chopped and beat on stuff every day for 20 years and it never chipped, warped, faded or failed in any manner. I beat on it with other hammers to lever things apart. I mean I tore houses apart with that thing. I wish all of my tools were that tough. Someone will still be using it long after I'm gone.

I have one of their hatchets, and I lust their hammers. Their tools are worth the cost, and they last for decades.

I have a Estwing framing hammer, hatchet, axe and rock hammer. The hammers and hatchet are awesome. The axe is pretty good too, but it doesn't split wood at all, so if your looking to split kindling for a camp fire, you may need something else. The reason for this is that the head is quite a bit narrower then a conventional axe, so it sticks in the wood if you aren't careful. Can't be beat for chopping down trees and clearing woods, that's what I used mine for anyway.

Although I've never had the chance to use mine for its intended purpose, my rock hammer/pick is Estwing. Estwing tools are used by paleontologists all over; I have no experience but trust them.

Spencer

I have both an older Estwing hatchet and a Fiskars hatchet (the Gerber hatchets are rebranded Fiskars). The Fiskars performs much, much better IMO. I went winter camping this past February and brought along both hatchets, one for me, one for my bud. As we were splitting up firewood my bud (who was using the Estwing) turns to me and says "why do you get the good axe"? So we switched and I knew right away what he was talking about.
The Fiskars is also significantly lighter (in the handle).
The Fiskars seems durable, but the Estwing looks indestructable.

What can I say, I have nothing against Estwing, I also have their ice pick/hammer thingy, but in my experience, the hatchet ain't the cat's ass.

Reactions: DMG
I've used Estwing hammers & hatchets in work & around the house,most my life.They're quality,reliable tools.The only problem I had ,with the all steel construction,is that it doesn't absorb any impact.All that vibration goes strait into your hand,arm,wrist & elbow.It's not much of a problem if you use it once in a while.However if you use one everyday for years,it could pose a problem.After 10yrs using an Estwing,I start getting a really sharp pain in my elbow area with every swing.I went out & got a graphite handled hammer & the pain went away.
The steel is very good.I never had a problem with it chipping or anything.

Depends on the user, I guess. I've used one for the last 3 years with no complaints, and my father's packed one for about 15. I've found the rubber grips take away just enough vibration.

Depends on the user, I guess. I've used one for the last 3 years with no complaints, and my father's packed one for about 15. I've found the rubber grips take away just enough vibration.

My Estwing has the stacked leather grips, and while the vibration is definetely greater than my wood handled hatchet, it is by no means unbearable (for me at least).

I am shopping for an ax that actually cuts. I was looking at Fiskars products online. However while reading a couple of the negative responses on Amazon, I ran across Estwing's name both times. What is your take on the difference?
lwetzel

I`ve had an Estwing hatchet for over 35 years....since I don`t usually shave with a hatchet, the edge that it takes is adequate for my needs....some rubber handlebar tape (from a bicycle shop) will give a little more comfort when wrapped over the stacked leather handle.

I bought a cheap boys axe, a Plumb, and the Estwing axe. The cheapy I have used on lathe and plaster, left in water, and find laying around rusty every time I need it. The Plumb was much higher priced, epoxy filled, and really no more durable. The Estwing won't break, but it doesn't seem to cut quite as well. The head to handle weight ratio may be less - giving less impact. Mine chips a little too much, too, because it's thinner. Ozark hardwoods are less forgiving.

Camping in my Jeep, I'd take the Estwing. I can't break it on the trail if I seriously need it. But around the back 40, nope, I take the junker. It does as well, and I don't care when I chop rocks.

Those who cut wood for real prefer Grandfors Bruks and others, but I sure can't afford them. Check Bailey's website and see what else is available in axes - you can get into custom knife pricing real quick.

I have the small Estwing hatchet with the blue rubber handle. It feels nice and solid and it does not seem to rust very quickly compared to other axes that I have owned in the past but this is probably because I always clean it and oil it after use.

I chose the rubber handle instead of the leather one because it seemed tougher and more practical, as well as more resistant to the damp and humidity (something well worth considering when you live here in England where it rains almost constantly)! The rubber handle also seems to absorb the vibrations that occur when using the axe quite well and this makes it very comfortable to use.

I suppose that the leather handle probably looks nicer but I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

The only real down side to my Estwing hatchet is that the steel seems quite soft. I find that it dents quite easily if I accidently hit something hard while using it and it does not hold an edge as well as my other Sandvic axe. I also wish that it had been polished and finished to a higher standard when new as some parts of my axe were quite rough when I bought it. This was a bit disappointing, especially considering that this was quite an expensive hatchet when compared to other similar hatchets that were available at the time.

On the plus side, my Estwing is quite easy to re sharpen and I guess that is not very likely that it will break or shatter when in use. It also came with a very high quality leather pouch/head cover that safely covers and protects the cutting edge when not in use.

This leather cover also has slots in the back so that you can fasten it to a belt for easy hands free carriage and it simply refuses to wear out!

I emailed Estwing to find out what the steel is and they answered me! the following is their answer

"Dear Jason,

Our tools are manufactured from 1055 carbon steel, special bar quality, and
heat treated to ASME safety requirements, which is 45-60 Rockwell standard.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely;
Yolanda Moline"

So there we have it. I'm sure the HRC qoute of 45-60 runs the full spectrum of their line. from 45HRC for there hammers and axes, to the 60HRC for their geological picks.

I just ordered a 40oz (2 1/2 pound) cross peen from them for forge work! (about $30.00)

Does anyone know if Estwing is still using 1055 on tools like their tomahawk?

I have a Sportsmans hatchet and it has served me well over the years. They use good steel and I have had no complaints.

The Estwing axes and hatchet come pretty dull and don't hold edges that well, so they're ideal for learning to sharpen your axe. I have a couple and their primary use is to hand to people who have terrible aim and are pretty hard on wooden axe handles, because that solid metal tang handle is tough. I have one of the axes in the trunk for my vehicle's pioneer kit (for dealing with unexpected obstacles in the middle of nowhere) and have it wrapped to keep from rusting. I certainly wouldn't take the Estwing axe or hatchet backpacking, because at that point I might as well start carrying random rocks in my pack.

Does anyone know if Estwing is still using 1055 on tools like their tomahawk?
I can think of no reason why they wouldn't be. It's the simplest steel for the task. Like, they can't really downgrade it from there and I don't think they would have upgraded it either.

I keep hearing that they are dull… I dunno. I did have to sharpen my Estwing hatchet when I first got it but I expect that with anything other than high dollar axes. Once sharpened, it’s done very well. The design with no eye allows the checks to be very narrow so it cuts deep when using it for cutting tasks. Obviously not a great splitter, but I have my Estwing Fireside Friend for that anyway and that thing is a little beast.

Last edited:
I think axes are hardened to lower HRC than knives. That is pretty standard. It doesn't mean they don't get sharp.

I keep hearing that they are dull… I dunno. I did have to sharpen my Estwing hatchet when I first got it but I expect that with anything other than high dollar axes. Once sharpened, it’s done very well. The design with no eye allows the checks to be very narrow so it cuts deep when using it for cutting tasks. Obviously not a great splitter, but I have my Estwing Fireside Friend for that anyway and that’s thing is a little beast.
Agreed. My Estwing tomahawk came plenty sharp. Love the Fireside Friend and it came sharper than I would’ve expected.

In contrast, my Gerber 17.5" Freescape Hatchet arrived absurdly dull.

Back