How long a blade for field-dressing 80 lb pigs?

There are many different ways to process your animal, and different levels of this processing can be done in the field. For what it sounds like you intend to do, I can't really disagree with much of what's been said. Just wanted ya to keep in mind there's more than one way to skin a hog.

How far will you have to pack it out? You plan to drag the carcass by hand, use some other kind of device (drag, cart, pole, pack) or will you have an ATV or tractor close by? Will your buddy be available to help you get it out of the woods? How warm do you expect the weather to be? Will this knife be a dedicated dressing knife, or do you expect it to do other camp chores? Will you process the animal yourself, or have a local butcher do it? What method/technique do you prefer to use for the dressing and/or butchering? If a larger animal comes along, would you shoot? Or will you hold out for a smaller one? Will you hold your fire if the animal presents a shot where the bullet will continue into the guts?

I could give a direct answer to your querry, but I feel if I knew the above information, I could make a more informed recommendation.

as well as hunt deer, squirrel, and rabbit. The only knife I use to skin all of these is a Gerber Gator. Sometimes I have used an old Jimmy Lile, but on average we use that Gator pretty regular. My daddy swore by those old black handled Buck knives, but I like my Gator better. It has a real good grip and your hand won't slip cutting bone. That is just my two cents.

Julian
I know it doesn't answer your question but I was watching TV last night. Ray Mears, British bushcraft expert, was demonstrating some of our ancestors skills. He butchered a deer as neat as you like using a flake of flint..............
Amazing guy.

Phil

Back