How many burners??

Would a forge with internal dimensions of 18" long and 10" i.d. need two burners or would one work good?? Thanks!!

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Hey Michael, I'm going to be building something like that soon also and from what I've been reading two burners would probaby be best. I'm thinking about building a 24 inch long forge with three venturi type burners. With a moveable interior wall you can cut the heated area of the inside down and use only two burners or all three for long pieces. Wish this were my idea but I got it from Ron Reil's web page.
The other alternative which I am considering is the vertical style forge like Don Fogg's design, which requires one forced air burner and is great because you don't have to worry about flux attack like the horizontal forges.
The way things are going I may end up spending more time planning and building forges than making knives!
smile.gif

Guy Thomas

Mike-

I'm going to say it depends a lot on the burner you use.

If you make a hybrid burner, you could get away with one. Two, however, would be much more efficient.

I have seen the "latest breed" of burners, and it's something even hotter than the T-Rex burners you can buy through Ron Reil's page (made by Rex).

Beyond spouting off about having a hot burner, the benefit is you don't have to use much gas pressure at all.

The hybrids require some welding and machining that the Reil type burners don't, but I think it's worth the time and effort.

Nick

Hey, does the back end of the forge have to be open too???

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Venturi type burners won't function correctly if there is back pressure in the forge so an exhaust opening of some kind is recomended in the rear. Burners with blowers can get by with a closed back. Openings in the back can be handy if you are working extra long stock in sections.

Guy Thomas

Back