How many here can successfully reassemble their Sebbie?

OK - I'm looking for a little encouragement here, hoping that I'm not the only person who can't do this right.

I've had my small Classic for about a month and a half, and this morning I thought to myself...."Self, why don't we take apart the Sebbie, clean it, and put it back together? It's about time we bonded to this knife and made it >ours<".

I've really got to stop listening to myself. :rolleyes:

Well, disassembly was pretty easy! Reassembly the first time, second time, ..., 10th time after reading the unofficial FAQ... no dice. The action is stiffer than the locking bar! Looks like it is a trip back to the maker for this one!

So - anybody else here who just couldn't figure out how to put it back together?

Starfish, the Sebenza has VERY tight tolerances. you need to be sure you are lining up everything right!! It sounds like you are not getting the bronze washers lined up over the pivit pin right. Make sure they are flat on the blade and that the pivit pin is through the washer. This can be trickey but once you get it right once and know how things should feel you will have no problem in the future!! Good luck!!:)

Starfish -- you are making me nervous to do mine now. I have a small plain and I have been wanted to give it a good cleaning. But taking it apart scares the hell out of me. Now... after your post no way am I going near it with an allen wrench until someone shows me how to put it back together. I would hate to have Sebenza parts laying around the house for days while I figure out what it up.

JT

Here is something I posted a while ago with the similar problem "God yes, the re-assmebly info is VERY important to stop the washers and bearing from coming adrift during assembly. Trust me! You have to fit the blade into the handle and sqweeze the handle tight, then fit the screw and female part. Otherwise the bearing will move ONTO one of the washers. The blade will then be very tight and the lockbar will go over too far.

This is the only way to avoid this problem. Read Annes advice and follow it to the letter! Cheers"

To explain in more detail.

You have the-
1.blade
2.bearing (the round thing that goes into the blade hole)
3. 2 Bronze washers of different sizes.
4. The male and female screws.
5. The Handles.

Ok, this is what you do. Get some white Teflon grease and put it inside the blade 'hole'. Now take the bearing and place it into this hole. Then place a little more grease on either side of the 'hole'. Now place the washers on the grease over the bearing.

At this point you aught to have the blade with the bearing inside the blade and a washer on one end of the bearing and another washer on the other side. It goes without saying that the smaller goes on the lockbar side otherwise the lock bar will not close properly!

If at this point you look at the bearing, which is partially held in place by the white Teflon grease, it aught to be sticking out either side of the 'hole' in the blade, enough to place the washers over it to make a very tight fit.

Now this is the very very important bit, if you do this any other way you will 99% of the time crimp one of the washers as they will move out of place.

Do this and only this! Make sure the female and male screws are NOT in the scales at all. Slowly place the blade into possition between the scales nad look to see that the washers have not moved at all. You do this by looking down the hole that the screw is about to go down. If you can see anything bronze its moved the washer.

At this stage I have one scale on the table and the other out of the way. I place the blade right onto the scale. If you slide the blade about on the scale to get it lined up the washer may move. Once the blade is on the scale I pick up the other scale and place it on top. This makes a scale/blade/scale sandwich! I then hold the knife tightly, squeezing the scales together. This will prevent the screw entry rubbing the washer and moving it or allowing the washer to move when you re-position the knife to put the screws in place. In short it keeps the blade in place!

If everything looks ok, very slowly push the screw female sleave into place and then the male screw. Tighten is LIGHTLY a couple of turns is enough. Then put the other screws etc into place and tighten them up to 1 turn off being fully tight. Now slowly tighten the pivot screw till is is also 1 turn from fully tight.

Now look and see that everything still looks ok and 100% tighten ALL the screws. DO not over tighten them though.

If everything has worked as it aught to, even though the screws are fully tight, the action aught to be just as smooth and easy to open with the screws tight or loose. Anything else means the washers have been crimped again.

It may take you three or four goes at this (I did!) but do it slow and try to do this at a table with a cloth on it so you don't loose bits.

If you follwow this step by step you won't have a problem with a little practice. I was shaking my head in annoyance as my Sebi was very tight unless the pivot screw was loose. This WILL fix your problem I promise you. Give it a try!

Best,

Geeeezzzz,
Just put the pins through the lock side, lay it flat, slip the stop "pin", and spacer on. Put the bearing over the pivot pin, then one washer (small washer goes on the lock side), then the blade (leave it in the open position), then the other washer, snap the other scale in place, and put in the screws. That puts the screw heads on the "non-lock" side. If you want the screw heads on the clip side, for a smoother look or something, then start with the lock side.
The whole beauty of the thing is its simplicity. It's not some epic drama, it takes about 45 seconds.

Double amen. Took me a year to get the cojones up to open mine. Took me two weeks to figure out why it didn't work after I put it back together. Once I figured out how tight the washe tolerances were, it took me about three minutes to fix it. Now my Seb is clean, AND works like the swiss watch it is.

Lol! yep, that will work, but not every time. My way is long winded to explain, but only takes 2-3 mins to do. I just wanted to take it step by step for clarity.

I tried your way Owen and that works as well, I used to do it that way and that was how I was crimping the washers from time to time. Now I KNOW what I am looking for it does not happen. I still do it my way though.:p

REALLY PEOPLE!
What's the big deal.
What OwenM said.
Just put it together!
It's obvious how it goes together.
Just use a little care when seating the washers.
Piece of cake.
Don't fear the Sebenza.
This is not brain surgery.
If you send it back to CRK for proper assembly, you're negating the whole idea of the Sebenza.
Lenny

Geeeeeez OwenM....I think paying $42 a week for gas has left you a bit cranky :D

I'll try it again today and see if I can't get it to work. I agree, it appears to be simplicity defined - otherwise, I wouldn't even have attempted this, since I am the definition of mechanically inept!

Thanks all, for the advice, and the ummmm... "encouraging words" :)

Switching shifts after three years on the same one has left me a bit cranky:p
Seriously, it is simple. Just take it slow at first, and make sure everything's in its proper place. It'll be second nature before you know it. I think disassembling and reassembling the Sebenza really gives you a greater appreciation for the design, and the fit, too.
And it's kind of fun.
btw, I usually loosen the lanyard, and leave it on for cleaning, unless I'm changing to one of a different color. Getting the lanyard just right always takes me three or four tries:(

No sweat OwenM - just yankin' yer chain, just like you've been yankin' mine on these last two threads :D

Well, I tried it again, just like you said (with a little peeking at the General's advice), and it worked! Still doesn't feel as smooth as before I disassembled, so I'll try again and put a little more lube in their this time. All I've got is some Rem Oil, which claims to be a teflon lubricant. Should that work alright?

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Lenny
REALLY PEOPLE!
It's obvious how it goes together.
Piece of cake.
Lenny

Yup, just don't start tweaking the lock-bar ;)

What lube are you using? If it is still not smooth, you need to use a Teflon grease, or the washer is still crimped somewhat?

Try it my way...;) :p

Send it to me starfish. I'll fix it for you and test it for a year or two and send it back..........;) :D
What a deal! How can you pass it up ???????:)

Sure teacher! Just send me the loaner unit (hmmm, maybe a wood inlay?) and I'll send mine right out to you for fixin'! Take as long as you like fixing it too! :D

Well, it looks like I finally got it right! This time I was very careful to make sure nothing moved, and put lube down in all the places listed in the FAQ, and well, I think it's back to normal!

Now if I could just make that lanyard look a little better!!!! Gonna' have to practice that one some more!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys. I was seriously considering selling/trading my small Sebbie, but after this bonding experience I am pretty sure that I cannot part with it :cool:

P.S. JTurner - don't worry about taking yours apart! Make it yours - just don't tell anybody here on the forums if you have problems getting it back together! :D

With regards to the Lanyard, the CRK website shows you how to do the hangmans loop. I am sure you know this, but in case you did not...

Hey guys, we just stopped someone getting rid of a Sebi! Congrats all around:D Even if I did not help much;)

You guys stopped me from selling mine when I could not get it back together right.:rolleyes: I am REALLY glad I did not sell my baby.

Back