How many layers before a SAK is too big?

What do you consider to be the maximum number of layers on a Swiss army knife before it becomes either too bulky or too heavy for you to grip or carry comfortably?

Depends on the carry and on the scales. I am also in the two layer cellidor (Rambler) or three layer alox (Minichamp) zone for front pocket carry.
In a bag or belt pouch I can carry whatever, np.
In use, it depends on the tool and the task itself, but my six layered Cybertool Lite and Workchamp are completely fine.

6 or 7 layers for me, I think ... maybe 8 is the maximum, tho I prefer 5 or less. The Huntsman (5 layers) is the widest I've regularly carried in my pocket and used.

I prefer 5 or less. The Huntsman (5 layers) is the widest I've regularly carried in my pocket and used.
Did you mean the Ranger? The huntsman is 4 layers (openers, scissors, saw, blades) and the Ranger is 5 layers (openers, scissors, saw, file, blades).

Ranger is awesome. Definitely a favorite. Huntsman is just a bit easier to carry and sometimes comes as a nylon scale version. I've never seen a Ranger with nylon scales. I would get one if they made them.
6 or 7 layers for me, I think ... maybe 8 is the maximum
8 is the Swiss Champ. 6 would be a Handyman. Does Victorinox make any 7 layer models? Maybe one of the bigger Cybertools? I'm not very familiar with those.

They should make a 7 layer version of the Swiss Champ. Exact same as a normal Swiss Champ, just without the fish scaler...

For Alox 3, though I prefer 2.
Cellidor - 2

Unless I'm carrying it for a specific use that day. Then the bulk is the cost of doing whatever I'm doing.

5 or 6 layers depending on the layer thicknesses (like scissors not being as wide as pliers) is probably where my comfortable to use limit is.
4 layers (deluxe tinker) is my current limit on carrying although i have been contemplating figuring out a way to try and carry my handyman or champion C

Last edited:
Back