How many new models w/compression lock?

I'm just curious if anyone knows approximately how many new Spyderco models are due to be released soon with the new compression lock? Particularly high-end models with CPM 440V blades/G-10 handles.

The Gunting is too extreme for me. Therefore, I was hoping that there would be other, more conservative looking, releases out soon.

Please..for my edification...what is too extreme? Input on these things is always appreciated...no input no modifications or justifications possible!
Thanks!!!

Full tang clan - For earlu '01, Compression locks are scheduled to go on the "Vesuvius" (ATS-34) Frank Centofante design and "Lil' Temperance" (CPM-440V) both blade shapes ("in house" design, and one more I can't mention yet. (sorry)

sal

Bram,

By "extreme" I meant it more in terms of my own personal taste/needs. I'm currently looking for a more traditional Spyderco full-sized blade design. Rather like the Military, or Calypso but with a compression lock.

However, I'll probably get a Gunting since it's so unique, among the first Spydercos with the compression lock, and due to my appreciation for the Gunting's self-defense pedigree.

The Gunting will surely get "wows!" from anyone who wants to borrow the knife to cut out a coupon out of a newspaper!
smile.gif

QUESTION: Are there any plans on a Gunting with a longer blade? What is the logic behind a short blade for a "fighting" knife?

Sal,

Thanks for the info on the new knives with the Compression Lock. I've become obsessed with finding the ultimate folder; but it has to have THAT round thumb-hole!
wink.gif

FTC -- a recent Spyderco convert!

[This message has been edited by Full Tang Clan (edited 10-06-2000).]

Sorry, but what is the compression lock?

What's the good of it?
confused.gif

Santi,

I wanted to help you. I remembered several good pictures that James Mattis had posted over several threads. I used the search function to find them. And the picture icons are all broken now. So now we are not missing just the man but also all the work that he had shared with us. The whole thing makes me sad so I quit.

If you do a search on compression lock, you will find lots and lots of stuff.

Gregg

AHHH Ok I got it..LOL You have to understand after carying it and the ORIGINAL ptrotos for almost two years and the Escalator before then..the shape is totally normal to me, not extreme in the least.
The three inch blade is so that its a common pocket knife and its not a "fighting knife" I don't design "Fighting Knives" per se..and the GUNTING is not one. It is an edged tool that in closed mode is a great self defense tool and ANY knife or edged tool with a three inch blade can slice n dice with the best of them..especially when its SPYDERCO sharp! Yes its an MBC blade..But Knife combat, fighting knives are NOT part of Martial Blade Craft...
The handle is bigger than the blade because that way one has great leverage for using the blade and big paws don't swallow the handle...( I hate handles that vanish into my hand!)
Why?? Do I need more than three inches of blade? i haven't found a task yet that it couldn't do with its little three inch blade.

Thanks for asking!!!!
Have a great weekend!

Ok go buy those GUNTINGS!!! LOL!

By the way: My compression lock is mounted mirror image from the rest of the compression locks...minor difference of ergonomic opinion between me and the SYPDIE staff...
I don't want to release my hold on the knife to close the blade..nor rotate it in my hand, nor move the tip or edge from pointing out toward the object or objects its cutting or was cutting....

I squeeze the compression lock release with my thumb and the blade falls notch onto my finger and I then use my thumb or finger to finish closing the blade.

I've come to the conclusion that blade-forum's manufacturers thread is the best place to get info on upcoming models.

Sal G. gave me a very good response regarding compression locks coming out on 2001 models.

In contrast, look at the really vague answer I just received via e-mail from a Spyderco rep: "Thank you for your inquiry. We are indeed looking at compression locks as well as other types of locks. However, everything is still in the R&D stage of development. We'll both have to stay tuned.
Thank you for your confidence in Spyderco products."

Doesn't say a thing about anything!

Hi Full Tang Clan. Patience please. Only R&D knows the new models until they're ready to be released. Sal G. heads up R&D so he can "cheat" with early info. (as long as it's not TOO early).

sal

Back