How Many Ways Do You Open a Slipjoint?

John, I'm a righty who holds a pocket knife in right hand to open it. But I have virtually no experience with modern folders, so that doesn't influence my technique.

I have a different conjecture that might "explain" the method for at least some folks, including me. I hold the knife in my right hand and put my left thumb nail in the nick, but I basically hold the blade motionless and move my right hand to rotate the handle away from the blade (rather than moving my left hand to rotate the blade away from a stationary handle). So the bulk of the work is still being done by my dominant/right hand. I wonder how many righties who hold knife in right hand actually pull handle away from blade like I do.

- GT
Had to take my knife out of my pocket to see. Never really think about it. I also tried a few other knives I have handy. I keep the handle in my right hand pretty stationary and do most of the opening with my left hand. With some knives at least I move my right hand out a little too, but the movement is mostly with my left.

I have a different conjecture that might "explain" the method for at least some folks, including me. I hold the knife in my right hand and put my left thumb nail in the nick, but I basically hold the blade motionless and move my right hand to rotate the handle away from the blade (rather than moving my left hand to rotate the blade away from a stationary handle). So the bulk of the work is still being done by my dominant/right hand. I wonder how many righties who hold knife in right hand actually pull handle away from blade like I do.
See, that makes more sense to my tiny little brain. ;)
I'm sure it's just a matter of what you were introduced to or what became second nature.
I sure didn't want to make assumptions of what's right or wrong. Rather I'm curious why people do things they do.
Guess it's the Sociology major in me. :D

Had to open a few to know which way o_O:confused:
Turns out
Both ways :eek:Depending on the knife
Haven’t figured out why yet
But if it feels good, it is good :cool:

Knife in right hand, left hand pinches open the blade with thumb and index finger (left hand has majority of the movement).

Sometimes I’ll use the nail nick, but I’m more used to pinching it open these days.

Just thinking out loud...
I wonder how many right hand people that hold a knife in the right hand to open it come from the modern world?
I've just always been taught, from scouts and beyond, that you pull the blade with your dominant hand for safety.
Not saying it's WRONG to do it the other way, so don't dog me. I was just curious. ;):):cool:
That is an interesting theory, on carry-over from the modern world.

I use my left hand to open, but I actually am both pulling the blade away from the handle and also pulling the handle away from the blade with my right hand. I started doing that because I found with nail-breaker knives, holding the blade stationary while pulling the handle away from the blade made it less likely to tear my nail. With knives softer pulls, I pull the blade and the handle away from each other with both hands, more out of habit than a conscious thought to do it that way.

I wonder how many righties who hold knife in right hand actually pull handle away from blade like I do.
By golly I just checked, and that's what I do too!
I use my left hand to open, but I actually am both pulling the blade away from the handle and also pulling the handle away from the blade with my right hand.
Looks like I'm doing this too, upon further observation.

OK, I need to stop now.....

Holding knife in right hand, left thumbnail in the nail nick, I rotate the handle, holding the blade stationary until the blade is open.

Holding the knife in left hand, I rotate the blade until is fully open or to where I can pinch the blade and finish opening it that way.

The few knives I have with a blade that can be pinched when fully closed, I hold the knife in my right hand and rotate the handle.

My left wrist and hand have extremely limited motion since before birth.

I have taken to carrying left front pocket usually and with a larger knife in a belt sheath (lately a GEC 23) because of the other thing I carry on the right. which means that the knife is usually in my left hand and I use the right thumbnail on the nick and then when open transfer the knife to my right. Now at home there is no real pattern it just depends on which hand I pick the knife up with, that said I just observed that most of the pile on the desk is to the left so the same routine as above usually applies.

Last edited:
Hadn't thought about much, but after opening both my 301 and 501 Buck, I also hold right hand and left thumb nail in the nick.

Back