1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We will be conducting maintenance tonight to update server processes. Downtime may be 1-2 hours or more, starting at 10:15PM Eastern.

How much does coating weigh?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Murman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Murman

Murman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Just wondering on something like a tg what the weight reduction in stripping would be and how it affects the balance.

2. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I really struggled to lift my TG before I stripped it. I had to employ a 22 ton crane to lift it into a tub of auto thinners so I could strip it. Once stripped it was suprisingly light. I could lift it up with one hand, even swing it about!! Amazing! :D

Seriously, I'm not sure it would even be noticeable. :)

3. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Weighs as much as bacon grease.

4. Chrisinzky

Chrisinzky Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    A guess- You're probably looking at 5 to 10 grams difference. If you take a big pinch of dry rice and put it on the blade and then flick it off, you probably can simulate the difference in feel and balance.

Based that guess on this discussion about powder coating adding weight to mountain bikes

If you do strip it you should definitely record weights and let us know.

5. Chrisinzky

Chrisinzky Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    After doing some calculator work, I change my guess to 2-4 grams. Instructions for the rice thing are the same :p

6. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    I think it depends on the coating. I'd say the crinkle coat is the heaviest since it has gold and platinum mixed into the ceramic, for incredible resistance to neutronic radiation. Probably 3 ounces. The other coatings aren't as protective so maybe 1.5 ounces.

Busto and Murman like this.
  7. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    @Murman, what's the deal bruh, you counting calories now? Hog's don't care bout no damn calories .... Have another slice of pie and bulk up for that extra coating and remember- bacon works as a topping for EVERYTHING :D

Chrisinzky, stjones and gk4ever2 like this.
  8. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Yeah, what Leo said! ;)

In all seriousness, I've stripped all my knives, and couldn't feel a difference in terms of weight/balance. They just cut better/smoother without the rough coating... and collect less crud while doing so.

stjones likes this.
  9. 360joules

360joules Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
    For larger knives, the weight difference is noticeable. The 1311 feels more like a light machete once the coating is removed. I wouldn’t expect a huge difference for a TG though.

10. HikingViking

HikingViking

Apr 19, 2016
    Yeah have to agree with most. It's probably just a matter of a few grams if that and never noticed much difference in the balance either. I do feel like they cut/chop a lil better minus the coating. Just an opinion tho could be entirely in my head.

11. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    it's only on the a few mil thick so maybe 1-1/2 sheets of printer paper.

12. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    definitely slice and cut smoother bare steel, and the standard crinkle coat is surprisingly less gritty on such tasks than the hammered finish.

HikingViking likes this.
  13. cpirtle

cpirtle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    LOL... we only count carbs, forget the calories, I’ll take a pound of bacon no toast please ☺️

stjones likes this.
  14. Ickythump

Ickythump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Does this coating make my hog look fat?

stjones, Murman and cpirtle like this.
  15. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    I was thinking of stripping HNWS and/or gladius. Big bacon like that might make a difference

16. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    Specifically wondering how much lighter my stripped Huck Fin is than a normal one

17. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Won't be noticeable. Coatings are very thin.

18. cpirtle

cpirtle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    Slightly off topic but SpyderPhreak and I did some comparisons on the weight of AK47's in Micarta vs G-10 and were surprised at the difference. Point is, if you are contemplating a light weight Huck Fin setup I would make sure you go with Micarta. It was grams not ounces but enough to significantly throw off the balance of an angled carry rig. I can dig out the numbers if it interests anyone.

A serious guess on coating for a Huck Fin would be in the 1-2 gram range, but I'm not planning to strip mine to check ;)

Murman and stjones like this.
  19. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Now the Hognose, there might be a point because there's a LOT of surface and I know it's just the photos but it looks thick.

20. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    And extra fill surface area
    due to CBT on hnws and Huck Fin