How much does coating weigh?

Just wondering on something like a tg what the weight reduction in stripping would be and how it affects the balance.

I really struggled to lift my TG before I stripped it. I had to employ a 22 ton crane to lift it into a tub of auto thinners so I could strip it. Once stripped it was suprisingly light. I could lift it up with one hand, even swing it about!! Amazing! :D

Seriously, I'm not sure it would even be noticeable. :)

A guess- You're probably looking at 5 to 10 grams difference. If you take a big pinch of dry rice and put it on the blade and then flick it off, you probably can simulate the difference in feel and balance.

Based that guess on this discussion about powder coating adding weight to mountain bikes

If you do strip it you should definitely record weights and let us know.

After doing some calculator work, I change my guess to 2-4 grams. Instructions for the rice thing are the same :p

I think it depends on the coating. I'd say the crinkle coat is the heaviest since it has gold and platinum mixed into the ceramic, for incredible resistance to neutronic radiation. Probably 3 ounces. The other coatings aren't as protective so maybe 1.5 ounces.

Yeah, what Leo said! ;)

In all seriousness, I've stripped all my knives, and couldn't feel a difference in terms of weight/balance. They just cut better/smoother without the rough coating... and collect less crud while doing so.

For larger knives, the weight difference is noticeable. The 1311 feels more like a light machete once the coating is removed. I wouldn’t expect a huge difference for a TG though.

Yeah have to agree with most. It's probably just a matter of a few grams if that and never noticed much difference in the balance either. I do feel like they cut/chop a lil better minus the coating. Just an opinion tho could be entirely in my head.

definitely slice and cut smoother bare steel, and the standard crinkle coat is surprisingly less gritty on such tasks than the hammered finish.

Murman Murman , what's the deal bruh, you counting calories now? Hog's don't care bout no damn calories .... Have another slice of pie and bulk up for that extra coating and remember- bacon works as a topping for EVERYTHING :D

LOL... we only count carbs, forget the calories, I’ll take a pound of bacon no toast please ☺️

I was thinking of stripping HNWS and/or gladius. Big bacon like that might make a difference

Specifically wondering how much lighter my stripped Huck Fin is than a normal one

Specifically wondering how much lighter my stripped Huck Fin is than a normal one

Slightly off topic but SpyderPhreak and I did some comparisons on the weight of AK47's in Micarta vs G-10 and were surprised at the difference. Point is, if you are contemplating a light weight Huck Fin setup I would make sure you go with Micarta. It was grams not ounces but enough to significantly throw off the balance of an angled carry rig. I can dig out the numbers if it interests anyone.

A serious guess on coating for a Huck Fin would be in the 1-2 gram range, but I'm not planning to strip mine to check ;)

I was thinking of stripping HNWS and/or gladius. Big bacon like that might make a difference
Now the Hognose, there might be a point because there's a LOT of surface and I know it's just the photos but it looks thick.

Back