How much does the look of a knife influence you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wil lRogers, Apr 21, 2017.

1. adamlau

adamlau

Oct 13, 2002
    Looks tell me the blade shape, grind and intended usage, so at least 50%. The remainder is lock design followed by blade and scale material.

2. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    That has to be the stupidest thing I've seen lately.

If that's the look you were after, you nailed it.

3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Knives are like pretty women ... and then you take her home and you realize he does not know to cook. ...... But he's good at bed . It s hard to find all in one :D

4. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Being from Macedonia (I'm certain you speak/write English far better than I will ever converse in Makedonski) I will cut you some slack Natlek for the pronoun confusion (he/she thing) :confused: :D

No matter - we all know what you mean and I completely agree. I have brought soooo many pretty women (er, knives) home to find they just can't do what I ask. Others though are superb. Yes, I like them pretty but capable wins out in the end.

Ray

5. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    he's /she's , whatever .... What time has come we can not be sure about it either ;)
    Yes, I like them pretty to , but capable wins out in the end.....

DocJD likes this.
  6. linuxology

linuxology Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2010
    no doubt looks/aesthetics would be tops on the list.

7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    With traditional knives, why choose a green jigged bone over a brown or purple jigged bone? Looks. So as mentioned above, looks are at least 50% of the reason you choose one knife over another. Other factors obviously come into the equation in terms of choosing a knife, but looks are very important.

8. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    If a knife doesn't appeal to my eye, I am not going to look at it any further, period.

Pomsbz likes this.
  9. Bufford

Bufford Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    We all like nice knives, but knives are much like women, often its the case that the ugliest one's have the biggest heart and are great cooks and homemaker's.

DocJD likes this.
  10. Kels73

Kels73

Feb 20, 2012
    Finding a knife is like finding a wife. It's the looks that catch your attention, but it's the character that keeps it.

That's my "fortune cookie" wisdom for the day, lol! :)

DocJD likes this.
  11. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Hmm. Mostly I buy knives because I want to try out different blade styles, steels, locks, opening mechanisms. Right now I don’t have any frame locks. I hear they’re great. One’s on the way so I can find out firsthand.

What this approach has taught me is that I don’t like chisel grinds, prefer flat grinds, and don’t mind hollow grinds, depending (much like on any other blade) how effective the sharpened angle is for the kind of cutting I do. I’ve also discovered that I prefer EDC knives with blades right about four inches, and that weight isn’t much of a factor. As to looks, they certainly play a role in my choices, but not the most important one.

DocJD likes this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :pI feel that Peacent's zip tied and well used knives are very beautiful , because he has made them more functional and personal . If you don't like the lady even better "the morning after" , it ain't luv !;)

13. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Ever heard of "coyote ugly"?

DocJD likes this.
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek:Umm...as in "chew your own arm or leg off to get away " ugly ? :confused:

:)Or are you referring to the hot new designer macho tactical "coyote" brown color ?:rolleyes:

;)Eye of the beholder ! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think that's called dating. Guess we can "date" our knives too. How about pretty capable?

DocJD likes this.
  16. Bmgillum

Bmgillum Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I am all about looks when it comes to buying knives...if that makes me shallow, so be it...fortunately we all can look at a particular knife and see varying degrees of beauty...right now I am big into feather Damascus and mammoth handles but that could change at any time...

Cheers/bg

Schwifty and DocJD like this.
  17. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It may only be just enough so that I pick up the the knife but it always plays some sort of role.
    It also may keep me away from some great knives. ZT, I am talking to you.

18. Dr Rez

Dr Rez

Jun 7, 2012
    I prefer my knives like I prefer my guns....Blocky and Ugly

Spoiler: I really like Glocks.

19. The cow

The cow

Jul 3, 2014
    Appearance tends to be what attracts my attention. It is also what can stop me from buying a knife.
    The overall appearance of Maple Winklers and "traditional" knives tickle my nether regions. Make me spend a little more money than worth spending.
    We can go with something like the Pathfinder knife, I love the overall shape, but micarta detracts from it.

20. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Looks are a factor for me when selecting a knife, but not the most important factor. I bought many knives when I was still figuring out what works for me. Some looked cool but didn't work so well. Over time my knife aesthetic has developed to where I know what to look for that'll work for me, and my tastes have been educated by my experience.

That said, there are knives I find beautiful but would never buy or use; they're just lovely to regard.