How much does the look of a knife influence you?

Looks tell me the blade shape, grind and intended usage, so at least 50%. The remainder is lock design followed by blade and scale material.

If it's something I'll be wearing or showing others all day (backpack, clothes, pen, etc.) looks are very important and a big factor in what I buy or don't buy.
But in a knife, which is rarely seen by others (in my daily life at least) I put function first, that's the reason I do the ugly and admittedly horrendous "wave mod" on many of my folders. It's of great utility and incredibly useful to me, even though it takes away so much of a folder's beauty and looks.

CAM05803_zpsdu1m2bki.jpg

YMMV!
That has to be the stupidest thing I've seen lately.

If that's the look you were after, you nailed it.

Appearance gets my attention, the other qualities of the knife then play a role as to whether I buy it. So, it's pretty important.

I think manufacturer reputation is equal to appearance. A funky looking Spyderco will have me clicking 'buy' fast, but a similar knife from another manufacturer I don't know as well, probably not.

Knives are like pretty women ... and then you take her home and you realize he does not know to cook. ...... But he's good at bed . It s hard to find all in one :D

Knives are like pretty women ... and then you take her home and you realize he does not know to cook. ...... But he's good at bed . It s hard to find all in one :D

Being from Macedonia (I'm certain you speak/write English far better than I will ever converse in Makedonski) I will cut you some slack Natlek for the pronoun confusion (he/she thing) :confused: :D

No matter - we all know what you mean and I completely agree. I have brought soooo many pretty women (er, knives) home to find they just can't do what I ask. Others though are superb. Yes, I like them pretty but capable wins out in the end.

Ray

he's /she's , whatever .... What time has come we can not be sure about it either ;)
Yes, I like them pretty to , but capable wins out in the end.....

With traditional knives, why choose a green jigged bone over a brown or purple jigged bone? Looks. So as mentioned above, looks are at least 50% of the reason you choose one knife over another. Other factors obviously come into the equation in terms of choosing a knife, but looks are very important.

If a knife doesn't appeal to my eye, I am not going to look at it any further, period.

We all like nice knives, but knives are much like women, often its the case that the ugliest one's have the biggest heart and are great cooks and homemaker's.

Finding a knife is like finding a wife. It's the looks that catch your attention, but it's the character that keeps it.

That's my "fortune cookie" wisdom for the day, lol! :)

Hmm. Mostly I buy knives because I want to try out different blade styles, steels, locks, opening mechanisms. Right now I don’t have any frame locks. I hear they’re great. One’s on the way so I can find out firsthand.

What this approach has taught me is that I don’t like chisel grinds, prefer flat grinds, and don’t mind hollow grinds, depending (much like on any other blade) how effective the sharpened angle is for the kind of cutting I do. I’ve also discovered that I prefer EDC knives with blades right about four inches, and that weight isn’t much of a factor. As to looks, they certainly play a role in my choices, but not the most important one.

That has to be the stupidest thing I've seen lately.

If that's the look you were after, you nailed it.
:pI feel that Peacent's zip tied and well used knives are very beautiful , because he has made them more functional and personal . If you don't like the lady even better "the morning after" , it ain't luv !;)

:pI feel that Peacent's zip tied and well used knives are very beautiful , because he has made them more functional and personal . If you don't like the lady even better "the morning after" , it ain't luv !;)
Ever heard of "coyote ugly"?

Ever heard of "coyote ugly"?
:eek:Umm...as in "chew your own arm or leg off to get away " ugly ? :confused:

:)Or are you referring to the hot new designer macho tactical "coyote" brown color ?:rolleyes:

;)Eye of the beholder ! :cool:

Last edited:
No matter - we all know what you mean and I completely agree. I have brought soooo many pretty women (er, knives) home to find they just can't do what I ask. Others though are superb. Yes, I like them pretty but capable wins out in the end.

I think that's called dating. Guess we can "date" our knives too. How about pretty capable?

I am all about looks when it comes to buying knives...if that makes me shallow, so be it...fortunately we all can look at a particular knife and see varying degrees of beauty...right now I am big into feather Damascus and mammoth handles but that could change at any time...

Cheers/bg

It may only be just enough so that I pick up the the knife but it always plays some sort of role.
It also may keep me away from some great knives. ZT, I am talking to you.

I prefer my knives like I prefer my guns....Blocky and Ugly

Spoiler: I really like Glocks.

Appearance tends to be what attracts my attention. It is also what can stop me from buying a knife.
The overall appearance of Maple Winklers and "traditional" knives tickle my nether regions. Make me spend a little more money than worth spending.
We can go with something like the Pathfinder knife, I love the overall shape, but micarta detracts from it.

Looks are a factor for me when selecting a knife, but not the most important factor. I bought many knives when I was still figuring out what works for me. Some looked cool but didn't work so well. Over time my knife aesthetic has developed to where I know what to look for that'll work for me, and my tastes have been educated by my experience.

That said, there are knives I find beautiful but would never buy or use; they're just lovely to regard.

Back