How much knife for hiking

It's not about knowledge…hmmm. I’m not sure how you mean that.
But the good news, it spawned a story!
My wife, da doge & I were going 6 mi. round trip on a path worn by Indians.
3 girls (20s) all decked out with Kelty this North Face that, get talking to us at the trail head…dog petting.
In the conversation they ask to, follow us. Ah, OK. They were cute & clueless. They had been “outfitted” at Dick’s in Buffalo, by an employee. I helped one with her pack..40# min. (the only external frame)
Anyway, the hike was a nervous chatter, gnat cursing, kinda worried, giggling walk to the water.
We helped them set up, which was a hoot. They really were very nice young ladies, who may be dead, off trail, in the Allegheny National Forest.
Some knowledge helps.

Last edited:
I take a leatherman wave and if wearing a field pack, my condor barong is on it.

We don't need to speculate about this stuff. Just look at what our ancestors used. They have parred down the essential EDC through centuries of trial and error that meant actual life or death and not just looking outdoorsy for your IG account.

M679HC2.jpg

qHD1NV9.jpg

q0pjSqX.jpg

Last time I took my Izula. I made few sticks for tinder and cut an avocado. I think if I had gas stove I would have not even done that much. 😁

We don't need to speculate about this stuff. Just look at what our ancestors used. They have parred down the essential EDC through centuries of trial and error that meant actual life or death and not just looking outdoorsy for your IG account.
Huh? Why not speculate?

“Our ancestors” were no more in agreement about what was “essential edc” than we are today.

The farther you go back, the less complex the tools get and generally the fewer people had to use/carry.

Go back far enough and we were all using our ancestral teeth and fingernails. That’s the essential edc.

What, if any, knife do you bring on a long solo hike to help make sure you get home? What kind of rock is it made from? ;)

Huh? Why not speculate?

“Our ancestors” were no more in agreement about what was “essential edc” than we are today.

The farther you go back, the less complex the tools get and generally the fewer people had to use/carry.

Go back far enough and we were all using our ancestral teeth and fingernails. That’s the essential edc.

What, if any, knife do you bring on a long solo hike to help make sure you get home? What kind of rock is it made from? ;)
I thought a puukko was a traditional Nordic EDC?

Last edited:
I thought a puukko was a traditional Nordic EDC?
Sure, but are you suggesting that because some Vikings carried puukkos that somehow makes it “the essential edc” for everyone, everywhere?

Do you think those were the only cutting implements they carried on “hikes”? You know they were partial to axes and seaxes too right?

My basic point in this thread is that what you carry (knives and otherwise) really depends on who you are, where you are, how much you know, what else you have, and how prepared you want to be. There’s no “right” answer for all people in all places, but in some situations a larger knife makes sense.

Sure, but are you suggesting that because some Vikings carried puukkos that somehow makes it “the essential edc” for everyone, everywhere?

Do you think those were the only cutting implements they carried on “hikes”? You know they were partial to axes and seaxes too right?

My basic point in this thread is that what you carry (knives and otherwise) really depends on who you are, where you are, how much you know, what else you have, and how prepared you want to be. There’s no “right” answer for all people in all places, but in some situations a larger knife makes sense.
Absolutely, I thought the way it was done in the past may be a place to start I guess.

Yes, but Vikings were not just going on hikes, they had other things on their minds like pillaging! :) Axes and seaxes oh my!

If hiking is just going short distances or just a day trip, a Swiss Army knife should suffice.

Yes, but Vikings were not just going on hikes, they had other things on their minds like pillaging! :) Axes and seaxes oh my!

If hiking is just going short distances or just a day trip, a Swiss Army knife should suffice.

And I'm sure that the Vikings, and other groups of people, were also looking for the best steel that they could find.

When I’m backpacking I always carry a fixed blade, typically my esee4. That’s mainly for batoning wood.

Along with that I always carry a folder, my favorite is my banchmade mini adamas

First and foremost.. I am a KNIFE GUY.. I LIKE knives.. I carry knives.. And sometime they get used.. Soo.. :cool:
I have been an avid day hiker for the past 13yrs.. 5-15 mile days..
In my pack ALWAYS is a Wenger Evo-Grip 18..
On my belt is a fixed blade.. 1 1/2 to 6in blade..
RFP is a Case slip joint of some configuration..
LFP is another SAK.. Hiker, Camper, Farmer etc..
In all honesty I know I will probably never use most of what I carry.. BUT... Refer to the first sentence!!!;)
John:)
👍😁👍
John 🥂

My personal philosophy on this subject is you have to ask yourself 1) what is the purpose of your trip and 2) what are the risks involved? If you answer those questions thoroughly then you will make your knife selection a lot easier. If you're going on a day hike just to check out the scenery and you're close to a populated area, your EDC pocket knife is more than enough, maybe even overkill depending on the knife. If you're thru hiking and your purpose is to push the limits of endurance, hiking 20 miles per day like some crazed, status-seeking yuppie, then carry something like a Spiderco Ladybug or even a razor blade (be careful). If you're like me and you like to check out the scenery and are into collecting edibles for dinner along your way, practicing your friction fire when you set up camp from materials you gathered that day, a 4"-5" fixed blade in thin stock, something like a Kephart, is probably best. If you're going on a multiple day hike in the Winter then maybe a larger knife capable of chopping and splitting, along with other tools.

I agree with jmh33 jmh33 . I'm a big knife guy so I'm usually over prepared rather than underprepared. Plus I've been camping and been in the outdoors my whole life so I kind of know what I like to carry. However at the same time I'm constantly learning and experimenting with new tools and ways of doing things. If you see me on a day hike and asked to see what's in my pockets, it'd look something like this. The folder and fixed blade might be different as I like to carry different knives for the hell of it. Also, if I were out on a backpacking trip or extended hike I'd have a little heavier duty fixed blade as I might not have my Fiskars hatchet with me that I depend on greatly.

nRLzlyK.jpg

Why even come here and talk to us lowly knife people if you are such an expert? Maybe don't lower your standards so much....
What knife people?
Tommy? Do you mean tomahawk?
Yes
And you traded it for a tiny knife because you never used it??
Yes
Wow - I guess thanks are in order that you’re willing to lower yourself to this level with the rest of us posting here.
You're welcome?

Pre Covid, another couple and us decided to do 72 hrs. with knife, fire, tarp (8’ x 10’ max., ea.), and your choice of cup, pot, etc.
There property has a huge beaver dam, so cattails saved the day. After 48 hrs. we voted in roadkill as forage. (we didn’t ..but). We had a lot of laughs, and nobody got sick.
If you’ve never tried to bug out, using your bug out bag, you need to. My advise is leave out most of that stuff, and take food!!
I used this knife…don’t laugh…it worked.
View attachment 1919269
Hahaha! Did you grill any bears with that knife?

Back