How my traditional knives fit in with my Do-Dad collection...

2f0as1d.jpg

My collecting hobby is somewhat outside the box, my calling it my "Man Gadget Collection". This display tells the story on how my collecting diversity has allowed my traditional pocket knives to not only fit in, but be the dominant force in the collection. Case, Tidioute, Forge de Laguiole, and others are represented, but even my saw cut bone Canoe by Rough Rider, adds a special touch of it's own.

Last edited:
Me thinks my whole house is a "do-dad" accumulation. I think it's cool that you have mounted and framed sort of a historical interest piece on your life. Might dedicate a shelf to this sort of thing, but I'll have to clear off one as there are "do-dads" all over the place. What is the significance of the Estwing?

Yeah, I have my entire dwelling decorated with similar displays (maybe 35-40 displays total). The Estwing is just a representation of that now old school American firm. They have been making tools for all sorts of trades and outdoor activities for close to a century now, and are still clinging on against all sorts of foreign competition. In other words, just another do-dad in my collection.

Some of my displays are eclectic, while others have a more focussed theme. This one here is a simple display representing NY State's 'Ontario Knife Company':

2ewehad.jpg

Some of my displays show a strong representation of just knives (like this particular one):

263kef6.jpg

Last edited:
I may be a bit strange, but the standout for me in the first photo is that mini M. Honer harmonica.
Honer is a name I am very familiar with thanks to my grandfather, I can barely play but he definitely could and loved Honer. If he was alive today I'm sure he would've taught me by now, I thought my dad was gonna teach me until I learned that he had only stuck with it enough to learn a couple songs.

Btw great display you've got there .

One thing may be noticed, in some cases I have doubles of the same knife or other "gadget", but placed in a different location/display. In the case of the Frontier Bowie by Cold Steel, I actually own three (one which I recently modified by removing the blued finish from it's blade). Here are some other displays showing my "Man Gadget Collection" mix...

2hfv0io.jpg

ojr6t.jpg

smbwy9.jpg

15ufjb.jpg

1bw4x.jpg

28tg6mf.jpg

Last edited:
I like your displays, but there is no way I would take art work down to display stuff like you have. I have framed art work pretty much in every room (except bathrooms) and there is little practical wall space left without taking stuff down.

I like your displays, but there is no way I would take art work down to display stuff like you have. I have framed art work pretty much in every room (except bathrooms) and there is little practical wall space left without taking stuff down.

I think my pics are somewhat deceiving in that they may all seem wall mounted, and some actually are. That said, more are probably flat on tables and such (like on my chest/coffee table).

And, I do add many other things into the blend to not totally overwhelm the space with only my do-dads. I mean, the do-dads are all over, but so is that purposely done blending.
Here are some examples of my museum like living quarters, lol!

29oif6a.jpg

148opqs.jpg

2cibjig.jpg

2v7we9s.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice. Did you clean the place just for the picture?

Nope, I stay on top of things :)
It's weird now looking back on how my "Man Gadget Collection" all started. I mean, the collection was really started with some Utica traditional pocket knives that I purchased from a local sporting goods store. It was headed towards only consisting of USA made pocket knives, but then foreign made and fix blade knives came into the picture. Then, the diversification started with things other than knives... And the Man Gadget Collection became the titled collecting hobby.
Btw, the flat displayed method makes for easy rearranging of the display's contents. Nothing is needed to secure the items in place.

Last edited:
I'm amazed!!!
Truly outstanding collection
Do guests ever sit down while there ha ha

Dealt with ESTWING as I used to work at a tool distribution company and out of all the axe makers we used, it was a very rare occasion if one came back from ESTWING with a fault, which is testament to the build quality plus they are a nice looking tool as well with the style of handles they have.

I'm amazed!!!
Truly outstanding collection
Do guests ever sit down while there ha ha

Dealt with ESTWING as I used to work at a tool distribution company and out of all the axe makers we used, it was a very rare occasion if one came back from ESTWING with a fault, which is testament to the build quality plus they are a nice looking tool as well with the style of handles they have.

I want thank you again, Sir, for expressing an appreciation for my style in displaying my collection. I do hope the pics, (and my postings in general), have given you some inspiration for some ideas you may be planning on doing for yourself :)

PS. I will say this, I truly enjoy my hobby, and using them as home decor is a big part of that enjoyment. It also does not stay too stagnant for too long, since newly acquired "gadgets" require my finding ways to fit them into my already set up decor. That causes a situation for constant, but subtle, changes. That keeps my decor interesting to myself, and to others that pay me visits.
The flatly laid shadow boxes, with the front loading capability, are definitely the key for my being able to incorporate new aquisitions without too much difficulty, they being always ready for some musical chairs with their contents :)

The following displays are just a couple examples of some of my flat laying/front loading displays. These types of displays oftenly get their contents tweeked by shuffling things around when new collection additions come into play.

Last edited:
Cool, how do you have that one displayed? We should become close friends ha

If you take a look at the two pics of my display cases in my last post above, you'll see it to the left of my Tidioute Lady Leg knife :)

To be honest, it't the only Victorinox knife that I really like.
Although I have a few other modern made ones to represent their modern wonder manufacturing processes, it's the old school specimen that I find much cooler to own :)

Last edited:
Back