How old is this Schrade knife?

I have a folding Schrade knife that was givin to me by my father. It has textured, day-glo orange handle material, plastic it seems. Two blades; One clip-point blade the other a "J" shaped blade apparently made to cut Parachute lies. The clip-point blade is automatic with a button as a release and a sliding lock 'next' too the button. On the blade it says; Schrade
Walden
N.Y. U.S.A.
Stainless

I was hoping someone at Schrade could try to help me out with the age and/or value of this knife. I was told it was a para troopers knife in the sixties but I am not sure, hence my writing this. Thank you for your time.

John

The model you are referring to was indeed a military issue knife. I am attaching a page from a book from around 1981. Of course the values are incorrect however the information is still valid. Unfortunately it does not tell the whole story. There was another company, Logan/Smyth which started producing this style of knife after Schrade and camillius had stopped. The Schrade and Camillus were by far, much better made than the later Logan/Smyth variety. Prices on the Schrade and Camillus may go as high as 150 dollars with 100 to 125 being more realistic ( in really nice condition to someone who really wants one).

The interesting part of this story is that the Logan/Smyth model which may only bring 50 to 85, are appreciating more rapidly than the better made Schrades and Camillus models. Why??? Well they are so cheap that it is becoming harder to find one in original good working condition. It is supply and demand. A true collector of course wants at least one of each for a complete set.These knives were packed in survival kits, in survival suits, in some cases they were packed in new issue flight jacket zippered pockets on
the coats shoulders. There is a non automatic version with only the
Shroud cutter. There is also a civilian non auto model ( same handles
regular pocket knife no shroud cutter ) which every so often
will show up but they did not go over big and production was limited.

I hope this helps if I can be of any further assistance please advise enjoy the picture Rich

View

Thank you very much for responding so quickly, the info was exactly what I was looking for.

John

Back