how old was your CRK when you got it?

i recieved 2 yrs old

2016 jan born recieved 2018 jan

from dealer

what do you think of this

Most of the ones I purchase are 3 months old or less. Some as short as 1 week factory-dealer-my hands. However, a few I purchased new from dealer were more than year old and one in particular was born on April 11, 2013 and I received it November 17, 2016. On that one, the micarta had already turned yellow and it pissed me off. I have never purchased from that dealer again and never will.

Most of the ones I purchase are 3 months old or less. Some as short as 1 week factory-dealer-my hands. However, a few I purchased new from dealer were more than year old and one in particular was born on April 11, 2013 and I received it November 17, 2016. On that one, the micarta had already turned yellow and it pissed me off. I have never purchased from that dealer again and never will.
Couln't you return it?

I have purchased a couple CRKs ... one was a dealer exclusive and the birthdate was a couple years earlier but the knife was just as it would come out of CRK if it were boxed up yesterday ... so I don't worry about the birthday ... unless you are looking for a specific birthday or month of something.

And unless stored unproperly I can't see how that would affect the Micarta ... I have a couple Micarta Sebenzas that are 3 or more years old and no discoloring.

I bought a LH Starbenza from WC that was two years old.
Here a while back, TNK sold some CRK's that were found during their move/clean out and sold them as old new stock.
I picked up a Large LH Micarta that was born in 2009 in 2016

Well if the micarta is not as it should be trough age it seems fair to return it.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but Micarta doesn't degrade sitting in a box either.

I have micarta much older than a couple years and its actually darker than it was when new. How did his micarta turn yellow?
Is it natural micarta?

Sounds more like "ivory - micarta"
Can we see pixs, please?

Old stock doesn't bother me.

Pix? Okay, here's what I referred to earlier. The top knife is the subject small Sebenza 21 Born 11-April 2013. The bottom is a small Sebenza 21 Tanto born 30-Jan 2014.

I have lots of Sebenzas with Black Micarta and this is the only one that has the nasty yellow coloring right out of the factory box. I have not tried to remove it and not sure how I would but it's definitely yellowed, somehow.

25226804287_21e1fc820a_b.jpg

More pix: https://flic.kr/s/aHskNTkrS9

Last edited:
That is a fairly normal color for them. The micarta varies slightly from batch-to-batch.
On it's own, it's not going to change color from my experience. Even reblasting it would probably not change that color.

That is a fairly normal color for them. The micarta varies slightly from batch-to-batch.
On it's own, it's not going to change color from my experience. Even reblasting it would probably not change that color.

Hmm, okay. If that's fairly normal then I've been very lucky to get only one CRK out of eight in my collection having black micarta inlays with that dingy yellow appearance. Really detracts from the appearance.

Hmm, okay. If that's fairly normal then I've been very lucky to get only one CRK out of eight in my collection having black micarta inlays with that dingy yellow appearance. Really detracts from the appearance.

I have had several of the micarta inlays myself.. I would say that my ratio was around 50%. Time didn't change it, the different batch of micarta was responsible.
I see the same thing with G10 when I have machined it over the years. It varies widely in color.. Phenolic was much the same.
Don't make the mistake of saying it's good or anything like that. My obvservation and commentary was only adding some perspective; Both from my knowledge having worked in similar materials in the industry to personally owning several micarta inlayed knives from CRK over the years.
Never really put much thought into not liking it as they have always darkened with use to the point that I never seen the color again until I reblasted the scales.

Back