How sad

Paul was smart, funny, crude (the people who truly know him are thinking it---just no one is saying it!), sweet, caring, gruff, kind, NOT thrifty, and his mind remained in the gutter 99.9% of the time...

And he was beautiful.

One story...and then I'll sign off. I witnessed a man with a cardboard box walk up to Paul. The box contained ten or so knives easily identifiable just by glancing at them. Because of printing costs, Paul was only allowed to buy knives worth $50 or more. It was obvious these knives were worth about $3-$5.00 each---well below what Paul was interested in buying. Paul gruffly said, "Not interested. Thanks." The man asked him to take a closer look. Humoring him, Paul rustled through the box and picked up a few of the folders. As he was opening them, the man said in a thick Southern accent, "Sir, I buried my boy today and I'd appreciate anything you can do. The people at the funeral home need their money. I sold my guns and tractor and it still isn't enough." Paul never looked up. He continued to sift through the knives and finally said, "Oh, wait. There are some good ones in here." Well, I knew better. There wasn't a single knife in there worth over $5.00. Instead of reaching in to pull out the roll of A.G. Russell money he always kept in his pocket, he opened his own wallet instead. He handed the man $200. The man tipped his hat at Paul and said thank you. After the man left, Paul looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "You're gonna have to buy dinner." Later that day, Paul was giving those knives to kids at the show.

Love ya, Handsome. I miss the hell out of you.

Thanks to all the folks sharing their memories of a very knowledgeable knife man. I have read many articles in knife magazines where Paul was interviewed or conferred about knives and I know he worked for A G for a while. I never had the good fortune to met him but I am saddened by his passing and God bless him and his family and many friends. It seems so many well known and well liked knife people have passed in recent years. The knowledge being lost is so sad.

RKH

I didn't know him but a casual meeting and bought a knife from him at Blade about 4 yrs ago. The stories being told here are genuinely beautiful, of this great man. Hearing the words of those who knew him makes him seem like the "family" everyone wishes to have.. What great stories. I am touched by all of them, and especially Sharla. I wish you had your friend back.
David

Paul was smart, funny, crude (the people who truly know him are thinking it---just no one is saying it!), sweet, caring, gruff, kind, NOT thrifty, and his mind remained in the gutter 99.9% of the time...

And he was beautiful.

One story...and then I'll sign off. I witnessed a man with a cardboard box walk up to Paul. The box contained ten or so knives easily identifiable just by glancing at them. Because of printing costs, Paul was only allowed to buy knives worth $50 or more. It was obvious these knives were worth about $3-$5.00 each---well below what Paul was interested in buying. Paul gruffly said, "Not interested. Thanks." The man asked him to take a closer look. Humoring him, Paul rustled through the box and picked up a few of the folders. As he was opening them, the man said in a thick Southern accent, "Sir, I buried my boy today and I'd appreciate anything you can do. The people at the funeral home need their money. I sold my guns and tractor and it still isn't enough." Paul never looked up. He continued to sift through the knives and finally said, "Oh, wait. There are some good ones in here." Well, I knew better. There wasn't a single knife in there worth over $5.00. Instead of reaching in to pull out the roll of A.G. Russell money he always kept in his pocket, he opened his own wallet instead. He handed the man $200. The man tipped his hat at Paul and said thank you. After the man left, Paul looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "You're gonna have to buy dinner." Later that day, Paul was giving those knives to kids at the show.

Love ya, Handsome. I miss the hell out of you.

There should be a memorial page on a we site where to post those stories.

I didn't know him but a casual meeting and bought a knife from him at Blade about 4 yrs ago. The stories being told here are genuinely beautiful, of this great man. Hearing the words of those who knew him makes him seem like the "family" everyone wishes to have.. What great stories. I am touched by all of them, and especially Sharla. I wish you had your friend back.
David

Thank you. Me, too.

Paul Basch was a reference as a dealer when I first got interested in custom knives. I
only met him in person a couple times at Blade, many years ago, but feel sad for his passing - he certainly has made an impression in the custom knife industry back when he was active in business.

I met Paul once several years back at one of the NCCA annual shows. I was new to going to knife shows and had little knowledge of top makers and purveyors.

Paul had a table with a name plaque and a moderate array of knives for sale. I did know enough about etiquette to ASK before handling a knife and I asked if it was OK to pick up his knives. He was very low key and polite and was a pleasure to talk with. It was obvious almost immediately how much more he knew about knives than I, but he graciously answered all my questions and I left his table knowing MUCH more about custom knives than before chatting with him.

It is sad for sure to have one less person like Paul Basch in the knife community AND in this world.

Peter

Back