How sharp can it get?

Are there metals capable of getting sharp enough to be within 1 micron? Powder or non
Thanks

and if so what edge does broken glass get down to ? . . . beings broken glass will be even sharper.

Using a Lansky sharpener I do know that 52100 can get mighty sharp compared to ordinary carbon steels. I do strop my knives with green compound. The 52100 knives I have stay sharp better than the other carbon steel knives I have. It may not be 1 micron but they are sharp enough for me.

1 micron? if you shave with a razor then you are already enjoying the benefits of one :D that's under a micron at the tip of the apex

Yes. Steel can get as low as 0.02 microns. The smallest I've seen is 0.003 microns for obsidian edges (volcanic glass).

About 10 years ago, I used to do research in reproductive medicine in Boston. We were working on manipulating eggs, injecting things into cells, etc.

I remember reading about one of the suppliers who had developed a blade with an edge that they described as "ten atoms wide." I guess that's pretty sharp LOL

About 10 years ago, I used to do research in reproductive medicine in Boston. We were working on manipulating eggs, injecting things into cells, etc.

I remember reading about one of the suppliers who had developed a blade with an edge that they described as "ten atoms wide." I guess that's pretty sharp LOL

Wouldn't even feel the cut I imagine.

Back