How smooth is your Carnivore?

RJT

I know my 2 Pioneers were kind of grity when new and I wanted to see if the Carnivore is different.So,how smooth is it to open?Maybe even compare it to other knives.

Thanks,

Bobby

RJT, my Pioneer II is smooth as silk, but my Carnivour is just the tiniest bit gritty feeling. This must be very individual with each knife,as I have seen other members with it either way.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Mine is a bit gritty, but I really didn't notice untill I read this post and opened it very slowly. This has to be one of the strongest folders I have ever seen. It's not the best looking, but the fit and symmetry couldn't be better and it's SHARP!
I'm sure glad that I bought mine, even if it is a tiny bit gritty.

Mine was very gritty until I poured 1/4 of a bottle of Tuff Glide into the pivot and cycled it about 200 times. After playing around with the pivot tension, now it opens very smoothly and quickly.

It is a great knife. Locks up solid and I personally like the stonewash finished blade.

Daniel

My Carnivour was very stiff on opening when I first got it. I cured that by placing a few drops of Break-Free on both sides of the pivot area, and by opening and closing the knife several hundred times. Now it is quite smooth, and opens easily. It is without question the strongest folder I own, rock solid, hefty, and very well made.I highly recommend it.

Mine is a tiny bit gritty when I open it without depressing the slide release. When I do slide the lever, I can whip out the blade smooth as silk. I love it. Buy one.

I have one. It was gritty until I took it apart to clean and lube it. It still isn't as smooth as my Escalator or AFCK's, but I figure it just needs to break in a little.

At the risk of sounding redundent, mine was a bit gritty when I first got it but after cycling the blade a coupla hundred times it has smoothed out somewhat. It got even smoother after a liberal dose of "White Lightning". It is not as silky smooth as my Axis, but it is much smoother than when I first got it.
The Carnivour is truly one of the greatest folders of our time even with it's minor grittiness glitch.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

I finally took the plunge and totally dissassembled my Carnivour. If you try it, be very careful when you take off the scale which holds the slide button or you'll lose the spring. Trust me. Anyway, I did find lots of metal dust in the pivot. After cleaning and re-lubing (and buffing the edges of the scales to a mirror-like finish with the dremel!!) I put it back together, and it's much, much smoother. It's not silky, but it's a vast improvement. Next will be my attempt to file-work the scales!

Ditto here as to the gritty-ness. But after a while of playtime and saturating the pivot with Tuf-Glide, mine now is pretty smooth.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator
AKTI Member # A000005

My Sifu was a tiny bit gritty till I dremeled it..
smile.gif

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth........

YeK

My Carnivore was silky smooth when I got it. It flicks open in a most impressive fashion.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

my Carnivour is also a bit gritty. i have been using Miltech lube on it ,but it still has that bit of grittiness. Opens plenty fast and the lockup is awesome.I may try some Tuf glide like Dexter suggests. Where do i get it though?

It will never be a Sebenza, but after 1000 of cycles the Carnivour(and Pioneer) smooth out very nicely. They get tighter too.
I've used only Tuf-Glide on them and it's worked out well.
I open and close my Carnivour constantly.
There is something satisfying about the feel of the cams. It's been fairly compared to that special feel of the Remington 870 pump shotgun. It's unique, different and addictive.
That ugly ole Carnivour is one of my favorite knives
wink.gif

Bill

My Carnivour was gritty like my Pioneer also, but like everyone else says, a good dose of Tuf-glide or Rem-oil, and quite a few cycles of opening, and closing, and now she is smooooooth.
I like Bill, and others spend a lot of time in front of the TV opening, and closing, almost like a nervous habit.But is actually relaxing.
Love those REKAT's.

Larry

Also forgot to mention I really like the kydex(concealex) sheath I got from Mike Sastre(River City Sheaths)for the Carnivour.
Excellent work.

Larry

ptpalpha!

You have mail.I sent you a scan of the sheath that Mike Sastre made for my Carnivour.

Hope it helps.

Larry

Larry-beautiful scan! I like what I see, although after staring at it for a while, holding my Carn up to the screen for a while, generally freaking out my co-workers for a while, I think I may want to go horizontal (with the sheath, that is). I'm thinking along the lines of small of the back, horizontal carry, although like you I want to keep the clip. Should be just the ticket. Boy, Mike sure does some pretty work! Thanks, Paul

Back