How strong/effective are scale release mechanisms?

Howdy! This is a question that I've been wondering for awhile. I'm going to be buying a lot of custom knives this year, and I wanted to add Gene Osborn (sp?) to my list. I know that a lot of people here have his scale release models, both auto and manual. I'm looking to find out about the sturdiness of the scale release manual mechanism for EDC. I understand about the lock back, but wonder about the scale release. What can ye tell me? Which would be better to go with for EDC? Thanks, in advance!

Sincerely,
Anthony

I have one of Gene Osborn's scale release autos (maybe 4 years now?)
Had to send it in for a tune-up one time and Gene fixed it right up. It has been a great knife, tight and fast. I like it alot, probably carry it more than all my other customs put together. Incidently, I have 2 other knives frome Gene (Center Cross Metalworks) and he is a genuine great guy. If Gene makes it, its good stuff.

Hey Anthony, I don't know anything about those scale release folders, but I do know that I miss Sean making me those small knives. I have two and use them almost daily.
I have heard that he no longer makes any customs, is that true?
Thanks!

Anthony,
As a maker of scale release folders(of the lockback construction) I hope this answer can help you.

The scale release is only as good as the lockbar pivot pin construction. Since the scale release does not share the lockbar pivot pivot pin with both handle scales, this pivot pin must be built of a very strong construction to cary the load of the entire lockup.

On typical lockback folders the lockbar pivot pin goes through the top handle, thru the lockbar and then thru the bottom handle scale. This does not occur on the scale release lockback folder. This pivot pin only goes thru one handle scale and then thru the lockbar. This is why the entire load of the blade when locked is dependant on a very strong pivot construction.

Whoever the maker is that you want to purchase a scale release from...it would be wise to insist that the lockbar pivot pin is welded into the liner instead of screwed or press fitted. This will make the knife strong and effective for years to come.

I've provided a photo of one of my knives with a tortoise shell handle that the lockbar pivot pin is visible down underneath the tortoise shell. This is the pin that needs to be welded solid to the liner.

Attachments

• mvc-057s.jpg
    mvc-057s.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 84
Gee, thanks for the info! I thought Ron's post was particularly informative! I never really thought about that as a possibility. In regards to Gene Osborne, as far as I know he's still taking orders and making custom knives. At the least you can purchase his folders off his website. There's a beautiful extended tang lockback in wood with extensive wire inlays on it- simply gorgeous! I'll have to ask if he's still makin' stuff! Thanks for the possible heads up!

Back