How thin can I expect to go with A2 before warping becomes a factor?

I am looking to make a small set of kitchen knives out of A2, up to an OAL of about 12".
Being still quite the novice to all of this, I was hoping someone might be able to share some insight as to just how thin I could take A2 at these kinds of lengths before having to worry about notable warpage during HT.
I don't think I am looking to go any thinner than 1/16" stock right now, and maybe even a little thicker than that at 3/32". Would that be fine on such a long blade?

Warping is as much a result of all the other factors of heat treating as it is about thickness.
I don't much about A2, but if it's air hardening, you may try some plate quenching to help keep things straight.

I have done kitchen knives in thin A2, I do all the grinding after heat treat. Use new belts and heat is not an issue. 1/16 is good for paring knives but 3/32 or 1//8 is about as thin as you want to go for the larger. I use mostly 1/8 now just so it has less of a tendancy to warp. I also send them out for HT, the pros are better able to deal with warp that I am. Typically I get 1 in 3 or 4 that has some warp and needs to be straightened. Also make sure you use a plate quench, that really helps keep them straight.

You have a little bit of time after the quench to straighten in the vice, if I cannot get it straight, I rewrap in foil and back into the oven for a new HT cycle. THe issue I had was not knowing how remove the warp without introducing a new bend, thats why I now leave it to the pros. This one I was making in 3/32 and now use 1/8.

HPIM5815.jpg

Good Luck

Back