How to carry a boot knife?

How are folks carrying boot knives? Inside the boot? Outside? If outside, with the handle up or down? Inside of the leg or outside?

I don't think many people carry 'boot knives' in boots any more. It used to be, a century or so ago, that men wore high open leather boots where a weapon (or a bottle) could be conveniently carried (hence the term "bootlegger"). Today, a boot knife is more of a generic term for a smallish, handy blade appropriate for self defence.

Back in the day I carried my Gerber MK I in my boot (they came with a leather sheath w/belt-boot clip). I preferred the inside of the left leg, being right-handed. As long as laws allow (or circumstances dictate) IDK why one couldn't do it the same today. It is not, of course, the quickest draw and one must either kneel down or lift the leg to access the knife.

I carried a book knife for 26 years when I was in the military. I always carried it inside my boot on the inside of my left leg. This was the most comfortable for me. My knife was also a Gerber MK I with a partially serrated edge. I bought it new in 1979 and I still have it.

I carried a book knife for 26 years when I was in the military. I always carried it inside my boot on the inside of my left leg. This was the most comfortable for me. My knife was also a Gerber MK I with a partially serrated edge. I bought it new in 1979 and I still have it.

Ever have to remove it for use?

about as awkward as an ankle holster could possibly get i gather.
on bended knee before a foe to execute a quick withdrawal, not!

The best place to carry a "boot" knife that i've found has been across the belt in the small of the back. Unless your pants are tucked into your boots (weird) then it doesn't make much sense to have to bend down to fish it out. At least not for myself. ;)

I carry a boot knife in my right inside boot. I wear a pair of Wolverine engineer boots most days. Kind of a back up back up.

Not really for a weapon thing, but more than one time I have gone out without my knife and found myself needing to cut something. I was like, "Dang it! I forgot my kni...oh wait!:)"

kindsa reminds me of the WW2 airborne troopers practice of strapping the full length M3 trench knife on to the ankle (and that's hung out on the "open" and not tucked inside any boot or pants! forget p.c., that's just being practical).
http://www.olive-drab.com/images/knife_m3_legstrapped_175.jpg
(btw, the early leather sheath gerber mark II's also allowed for this ankle lashing.)
nazi jackboots on the other hand afforded a trench knife to be tucked inside of the boot with a spring clip.
here again, as in wartime military practice the knife handle is clearly visible and within easy reach at a moments notice.
traditionally, bavarian hunters and scots have wore knives on the lower leg for ages.
the short dual edge bootknives that came later (as the AG Russell Sting) were targeted for hunters, and not necessarily as covert blade wear (as in the gerber mark I).
which is how short/medium length boot knives are preceived and marketed currently.

Last edited:
kindsa reminds me of the WW2 airborne troopers practice of strapping the full length M3 trench knife on to the ankle (and that's hung out on the "open" and not tucked inside any boot or pants! forget p.c., that's just being practical).

(btw, the early leather sheath gerber mark II's also allowed for this ankle lashing.)
nazi jackboots on the other hand afforded a trench knife to be tucked inside of the boot with a spring clip.
here again, as in wartime military practice the knife handle is clearly visible and within easy reach at a moments notice.
traditionally, bavarian hunters and scots have wore knives on the lower leg for ages.
the short dual edge bootknives that came later (as the AG Russell Sting) were targeted for hunters, and not necessarily as covert blade wear (as in the gerber mark I).
which is how short/medium length boot knives are preceived and marketed currently.

para-nl-04_1_-350x268.jpg

Fixed your pic

I carry an older Benchmade Nimravus ATS-34 version with the G-10 slab handles on the inside of my left boot. This makes it easier to grab with my right or left hand, I found that placing the knife on the ouitside of the right boot makes it easy for my right hand to grab but not my left.

I carry this at work as I am often in a kneeling position on the ground or seated position on an ATV and it is easier access than grabing a knife from my pocket.

Not the best way to carry a knife, but it looks cool. :thumbup:

Stallone - Rambo III

MovieDagger.jpg

I always figure a boot knife just being a knife with a sheath that was meant to strap on to a limb. I've seen them worn on shoulders as well.

I like the sheaths beacuse they're easy to hang horizontal on the waist. I like to keep mine in front of my, offset to the side a little bit so it doesn't get in the way when I squat. I prefer it over hanging it behind me because I only carry like this when hiking, and often times when it's hung on the back, I've found myself stuck on a tree branch by my belt because of it.

Ask Charlie Mike. .......Or just look at his avatar.

l_17ef7290799946329d61f594fa58349a.jpg

I cut 2 1.5" horizontal slits into the outside right boot so I can clip a sheath on. Prior to owning a CS Urban Shiv, I carried a CS Counter Tac 2 inverted. I rarely boot carry anymore. I haven't been arrested since 11-21-08 (DUI) and I intend to keep it that way.

Ever have to remove it for use?

Plenty of times. but not for self defense. The time I needed it the quickest was to kill a Rattlesnake in Arizona. I was holding the snake to the ground with a stick with one hand and had no trouble pulling the knife to remove the snakes head with the other.

My uniform was not covering the knife at the time.

I carry one in my boot when I'm on nights. To much gear on my duty belt and no way to get to it easily due to the uniform.

Back