Leather How to clean old leather sheath

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Johnster, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Johnster

Johnster

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi all—picked up a Chicago Cutlery L36 in pretty good shape, the sheath has a dark ring around the snap, soap and warm water just seemed to spread it. Any ideas on how to clean this up? Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    You could try saddle soap, but I doubt there's much you can do about the ring. Some kind of leather treatment might help. I use SnowSeal.

3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya got pics ya can post?

4. Johnster

Johnster

Apr 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011

Not seeing the pics.

6. Johnster

Johnster

Apr 29, 2017
    Sorry, hopefully this will work:
    [​IMG]

7. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Got it. Not going to be a whole lot ya could do about that one. Looks like the leather had some kind of reaction with the metal in the snap. Maybe dye the whole thing dark brown?

8. Johnster

Johnster

Apr 29, 2017
    That’s probably the best I could hope for. I really appreciate you taking a look!

9. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet!