How to clean water stones?

Hi,

I've been using a nubatama 150 grit bamboo stone as my primary reprofiling stone for the past 2+ years. Its by far my favorite stone (although I don't have many) and has gotten plenty of use. Recently I noticed a small oil blotch appear on the surface of the stone. Fortunately its opposite to the side I'm using but I would like to remove it if I can. Yesterday I boiled the stone for about 5 minutes or so but the oil is still there. Would I be okay with cleaning the stone with a small amount of detergent or is that unadvisable?

Thanks,
BN

Hot water and sunlight soap.

The 150 bamboo is a pretty stout stone. Its unlikely that the blotch will cause the stone any harm.

Jende industries I think have some valuable info on this. I've never really had to clean any of the "good quality" stones I own. I just keep them in a tub of water and change it when it becomes a bit nasty.

I dont know about the Nubatamas but most waterstones say not to use any detergent on them so why risk damaging the stone if the oil spot isn't effecting cutting performance?

Back